Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

World Geography: Ireland


Next up is Ireland, the home of St. Patrick and Leprechauns.
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

and rains fall soft upon your fields.

And until we meet again,

May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

- an Old Irish Blessing

Celtic Shield
Celtic Tribes
The Barbarian Kingdoms and the Return to Christianity {9-500}
1840 The potato famine in Ireland drives the Irish to England, who are hired to build more railroads.  
The Great Potato Famine
St. Patrick's History
St. Patrick
St. Patrick's History
Shamrocks
 The Blarney Stone
St. Patrick's Science
Rainbows
 Leprechauns
 The Geography of Ireland

St. Patrick's History
Catholic-Protestant Strife
James II and William of Orange



books:
  • Nory Ryan's Song, Patricia Reilly Giff; Set in Ireland during the potato famine.
  • Favorite Fairy Tales Told in Ireland, Virginia Haviland
  • Kate Culhane, A Ghost Story, Michael Hague
  • The King of Ireland's Son, Brendan Behan
  • The Pirate Queen, Emily McCully
related posts:


6 comments:

  1. Another Irish blessing for you: "May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead."

    Love the green popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings back lovely memories! Gary is from Ireland and we lived there for four years, only returning to England three years ago. The people in Ireland are so, so wonderful, and I miss them all so much. Thanks for a blast from the past!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me want to go there!! The work you guys do with geography is so much fun and delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! Their Celtic shields were amazing. We're studying codes and ciphers and just finished reading about Celtic ogham writing and how it was used for encryption! Have you listened to a lot of Celtic music? That has really piqued Sarah's interest in the Irish isles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bother, now I know what I did..... I was trying to rework my blog reader and I think I accidentally deleted 3/4 of the blogs I read. I was thinking, I haven't heard from any of my friends in days....... Sigh..........
    I learned how to sing that song when I was in elementary school, we ended all of our choir concerts with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this unit! I've never done a unit on Ireland, but this makes me want to! Another good Ireland book is Saint Patrick and the Peddler (M. Hodges).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.