This series of posts will cover many biology topics, especially for Preschool and Kindergarten aged students, although all elementary aged students will benefit from this study. This is a great study to begin in spring. The posts will cover nature study, hands-on projects and written science journal opportunities. The complete project takes about 16 weeks to complete.
1. Begin the Mural and Make A Field of Sunflowers: covers basic botany topics
3. Insects: Ants and Bees, begins the study of ants and their home, includes discussion of social insects and their behaviors
4. Insects: Butterflies and Metamorphosis: begins the study of butterflies and their life cycle, activities on butterfly behavior and how they protect themselves from predators. Also includes a comparison of moths and butterflies.
5. Helpful and Harmful Insects: Includes a study of ladybugs and aphids.
6. Spiders: Compares and contrasts the insect with the spider. Study of spiders and their homes.
7. Finishing Up the Mural: Study of what insects do in the winter, crickets and night insects. Sunflowers bloom and the meadow is complete.