Book Club: My Side of the Mountain Scenario: Introduction and Part I: Setting the Scene

My Side of the Mountain

My younger boys are starting a new type of English assignments If your students are the creative type, they might like them as well, so I thought I would share them with you. I did them years ago with Katie, skipped Alex and Sam because this wasn't their sort of way to do lessons, but now I think my younger two would like this creative spin on writing assignments. The first assignments are to be done in conjunction with reading Jean Craighead George's My Side of the Mountain. The writing assignments vary from narrative essays to research assignments, from essays to creative writing assignments. These all will flow smoothly from one event to the next, telling a whole story as the final project. Now for the first assignment...
source

Setting the Scene

Begin reading My Side of the Mountain: I Hole Up in a Snowstorm.

Imagine that you are traveling to the Catskill Mountains to visit a friend, Sam Gribley (of My Side of the Mountain.) You and three others have chartered a plane together:
  • John, age 13, is a boy scout and his hobbies include camping, fishing and other outdoor activities.
  • Sarah, age 14, is athletic, on a swim-team and is training to be a life guard.
  • Lisa, age 10, is a bookworm and particularly enjoys nature studies.

Take a Online Hike of the Catskill Mountains to familiarize yourself with the terrain. Write a descriptive paragraph about this area. What things would make traveling easy or difficult?

OR, write a creative scene about meeting your three companions and what you talk about, including some about what the four of you expect you will see in terms of the terrain. You might also want to include why each of you are there.

Popular Posts