"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."

"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Science Sunday: Science Unschooling Style: Strewing

Science Sunday
Tica from Adventures in Mommydom and I have had so much fun switching our linkies, we have decided to continue with the switch for the month of February as well. So for the month of February, I will be continuing to host Ticia's linky, Science Sunday, and she will be hosting All Things Beautiful's History and Geography linky on Thursdays. I hope you have been enjoying the switch-up.
Using Anatomy Models
Coined by Sandra Dodd, “strewing” is a favorite method of unschoolers, which describes the habit of leaving interesting materials for students to find and make their own explorations. It could be as simple as books or interesting learning games and materials or more complex such as specific scientific equipment.
Science materials are something that are really great to strew around the house, because scientific explorations, by their nature, lend themselves to self-exploration. The scientific method is based on the process of discovery.
What kind of science-related things are good for stewing? 
When the boys were really young, I would make them little "chemistry sets" with small jars of things such as salt, sugar, flour, baking soda,  rice, vinegar, water and food coloring. A lot of independent explorations were made in playing with them.
The Magnet

Magnets and various things to test them on are also great for young students.

Learning About Lenses
A set of lenses and mirrors are also wonderful things to just leave out.
colored paddles
 So are colored paddles used to learn about color mixing.
Enviro-Battery Kit Review
Store-bought science kits can also be fun to leave out or to give as birthday or holiday presents. So are anatomy models.
Snap-Circuits
Quentin views a crystal under a microscope.

When the students get a bit older, a good quality microscope and advanced chemistry sets are good choices.

Last, but not least, lots and lots of books!
Make sure you leave out lots of notebooks or paper and sketching materials so that all their explorations can be recorded, should they want to.

Some Good Unschooling Blogs:
Homeschool Girls
Unschool RULES


Have you ever strewed things for your students to find?
What did you strew?

Please feel free to link up any of your science posts.

4 comments:

  1. My kids "strew" things all over the whole house, LOL! Me, not so much. I have often wanted to hand them a science kit and let them just go for it, but I'm a little bit of a control freak. This may be just the push I need to give it a shot. After all, what's the worst that could happen? More learning than what they're getting with the kit sitting on the shelf, waiting for me to get around to it? Okay, then. I think I just convinced myself. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I tried to "strew" things, but our house is not very suited for it, since we don't have a working table or anything like that. But your post just gave me an idea to really rearrange things available to our daughter in our kitchen-dining room - perhaps they will look very new to her once she is back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philis I so miss doing this with my kids! It is such fun. My kids use to love it when I did treasure hunts. I would hide items ( like strewed things) and leave clues. Ones all the items were found the unlearning would begin.
    Yes knitting helps distract from the pain. At least I feel I can be doing something. Thanks for the prayers. I covet them! God is good and I have to rest in that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have very mixed results with strewing things, but I should try it again to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.