Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ................................................................................................................painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Oak Hill School, 1892

Greeting the Schoolmarm

Standing beside the desk to ask a question.

Learning about the "new" flag.

Lunchpails

Copying math problems to solve on the slate.


Reading lesson.

Using McGuffy Readers.

Recess

Playing schoolyard games.

Back in from recess.

Writing answers to math problems on the board.

Geography lesson. (Notice the map.)

Lunchtime.

Working sums on the slate.

Working on learning spelling words.

Collecting papers.

The Spelling Bee.

Practicing penmanship.



Oak Hill School, 1892

12 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I wish we could do a field trip like this! What a beautiful field trip! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're definitely adding Oak Hill School to our list of field trips. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were right - that was the best field trip ever! The black and white photo of the class was a nice touch. I had to smile - my mother learned to read out of a McGuffy reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a cool experience! I would imagine that lefties (Robbie is one, too) would have to be careful not to smear their ink as they wrote.

    I would love to take Robbie for a day like this sometime in the future.

    Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! Wow, what an incredible field trip with so much participation from the children!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely wonderful. What an amazing history lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a really fun looking day! I'd love to participate in that activtity! I love how you b/w the last photo. Looks like all of the kids had a great learning time! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man I want to go on your field trip. That'd be so AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a school day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kind of trip! I enjoyed this so much. The pails of food, the day of school, and the class photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the photos! We did something similar once when K and M were 12 and 5, and they still talk about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sooo want to do this! Here is a post of a one room school house in Eastern Oregon that has been restored http://homesteadwannabes.blogspot.com/2011/05/byrd-school-heritage-station-field-trip.html. They didn't do "school" though like this. How fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.