Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Concoctions for Play: Claydough

Claydough
We love this recipe. It is sort of a cross between clay and playdough. It has a wonderfully soft texture, is gluten-free and can be colored and scented to your desires. I love playing with it myself!

1 c cornstarch
2 c baking soda
1 ½ c water
Food Coloring and extracts for scents (optional)

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat when the mixture starts to look like mashed potatoes. The clay will thicken more as it cools. Knead and form into shapes!
This clay will air dry or can be placed in a food dehydrator or low temp oven to dry.

Source: Child Central Station

Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous11.12.11

    Hi, I noticed your postcard project on the side of your page. I have a postcard from Wyoming. please let me know how i could contact you to send it. :)-Tori

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've used a similar recipe from Craftzine, but less baking soda, and salt added. Now, well have to try this recipe, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to get more cornstarch. I used up all of ours in our quicksand experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tori-
    If you can send me an email address than I can send you my snail mail address.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe! I love your new look Phyllis. Your Christmas header is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS looks like such fun - and such simple fun. The finest kind. Love your new winter, bookish look for All Things Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this recipe I think I'll give it a try this week in red with a peppermint scent. Looks fune :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just published again on my reader for some reason. I just found two boxes of cornstarch......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is trying to tell you something. :)

      Delete
  9. Ooh this is on my list now, thank you Phyllis! I might try adding frankinsense oil, someone suggested it might be calming for my son. Calm fun - it's worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to let me know if it works.

      Delete
  10. Phyllis, thank you so much for popping by and encouraging my children in their endeavours, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember when my boys where younger they loved this! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this gluten-free clay option!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.