Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ................................................................................................................painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Postcard-Geography Album: Arizona, "The Grand Canyon State"

,This week's postcards comes from Amanda at Like a Bird.
I love reading her weekly wrap-ups which are always so full of great, hands-on learning. She even gave us some great points of learning in the postcards she sent us and what she wrote to us on the postcards.
Halley's Comet above Crater Range, Arizona.
"There are beautiful starry skies in the dessert. Without tall trees, mountains or clouds, the night's sky stretches on forever!"
Antelope Canyon is a rare beauty. This unique example of a slot canyon began as a hairline crack in the sandstone. Flowing water gradually widened the crack which allowed water to swirl the sandstone into a delicate sculpture of brilliant color.
"We have many beautiful canyons in Northern Arizona. The power of water plus time is amazing!"

A powerful and inspiring landscape, the Grand Canyon overwhelms our senses with its immense size. Unique combinations of geological color and erosional forms decorate the Grand Canyon.

"The Grand Canyon is truly spectacular. Have you had a chance to visit there before? I hope you do someday. You'll never forget it!"
"Yes, the magnificent Grand Canyon sprawls across northwestern Arizona, but how much do we know about the rest of this southwestern state? "

The zesty fruit of the prickly pear cactus has been a favorite ingredient in traditional Mexican recipes for over 400 years.

"I've never tried making prickly pear jelly before, but this recipe makes it seem so simple. I'm sure you could order the ingredients (or the jam) online!"

We didn't make cactus jelly, but we did learn about the Navajo

and made some Navajo Fry Bread.


This bread was made when, in the mid-1800's, the Navajo were held in captivity and given government provisions of lard, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder or yeast, and powdered milk. Since that time, it has become common food at most all Pow Wows of numerous tribes.
"Fry bread is wonderfully lumpy (puffy here and there). It can be served as a dessert or used as a main dish bread."

We also colored a map page that has the state flower (saguaro cactus) and bird (cactus wren).

Here is our completed spread.

More ideas for how to study Arizona at Our Cup of Tea.

Visited 28 states and Washington DC with our postcard-geography project.
We still need postcards for these states:
Mississippi, New Jersey, Vermont, Wyoming.
If you live in any of these states and would like to help us with this project, please leave a comment on how I can get in touch with you. Thank you!

Pin It


14 comments:

  1. It looks great! Are you using folders with holes punched to add to a larger binder? How many folders per state? Did you find the print outs in one location, or several from online? I intend to be inspired (copy) this idea when we go over the states.

    blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllis - what wonderful learning about Arizona! Hmmm - fry bread sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! More than 1/2 way through now! Lots of fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love fried bread. I usually make it when ever I make homemade bread. Sometime I will share how we make ours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we might have the same postcard from when we went to Arizona last summer or maybe someone mailed it to us. I forget.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. We lived on the edge of the Navajo reservation when I was little - fry bread was always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'd love to send you some from Oklahoma!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great state study!! I love how you do all of these. The fry bread looks yummy. You always have the best recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made Navajo fried bread before and it's delish! But when I got home, I couldn't make it the way they did. Not sure why. I love how you do the postcard studies. I want to do this since I have the postcards but do you use a guide book for the activities and printouts?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda...We have a family postcard-geography album in which we do a one or two page spread (depending on how many postcards we have) which includes the postcards, a map and any other state information such as state tree, bird or flower. We will include a photo or the recipe if we do any hands-on projects. Everyone contributes to these pages as they wish. My plan is for us to add to these pages as we learn more about the states and/or get additional postcards. I see this as an on-going project. Since the pages are on seperate sheets (the backs of the pages are empty), we could rearrange them as the order they entered the union or to learn about regions...the possibilities are endless. If any other paperwork is done, like the Navajo Indian pages on this one, they are put in the student's individual history/geography notebooks. This helps tie in what they learn as a group to what they learn individually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your site! Do you still need cards from West Virginia? I would be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We would love to help you for Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you still need help with Indiana, then please let me know. My contant is under the about me tab.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the link-up! Let me know if you still need postcards from Missouri (my home state), though we won't be back there until April, so it would be awhile in coming. Meanwhile, if you want one from England, I can do that, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.