Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Glowing Beverage Fun

I meant to do this interesting activity at Halloween, but it passed before I got around to it.

The secret to glowing food is tonic water which has quinine.
It is supposed to glow so much that you can make other drinks, such as Country Time Lemonade with just some tonic water in it (half and half, or even less tonic) and it will still glow. This will cut down on the bitter taste. Some people have even made jello jigglers with them.
We just had fun with it straight.
So, if you would like some simple fun, just turn down the lights, flip on a black light, and grab a bottle of tonic water.
And the science behind it?
There are a lot of everyday materials that fluoresce, or glow, when placed under a black light. A black light gives off highly energetic ultraviolet light. You can't see this part of the spectrum. Fluorescent substances absorb the ultraviolet light and then re-emit it almost instantaneously. Some energy gets lost in the process, so the emitted light has a longer wavelength than the absorbed radiation, which makes this light visible and causes the material to appear to 'glow'.

9 comments:

  1. thank you so much for this great informations !!! good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific! We have to try it :)

    BTW, we made the submarino(sp?) hot chocolate tonight - and the kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo- this would be so great for our camp party nights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is way too cool!

    Now, I may be misremembering, but isn't Quinine a poison?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an incredible curriculum and plan you have for your children! I am amazed as I perused your blog. You are truly a source of encouragement. To be honest, I even want to do some of these experiments!

    I tried to find a way to email you directly, but unfortunately could not. I suppose a comment will have to do.

    My name is Jessica and I work for a company called Visual Latin. Visual Latin is a combination of videos and exercises for learning Latin. We've tried to make learning the language as enjoyable as possible. Most of this is due to our teacher, Dwane Thomas. Dwane actually taught me Latin when I was younger and he is excellent.

    Each lesson has 3 parts--grammar, sentences and reading. Each section is comprised of a video and pdf worksheet. The great part of this program is that its self-paced. You can work through it as quickly or slowly as you need. It's portable so you can do lessons anywhere and if you miss anything, you can just re-watch the video.

    If you have a few minutes, you can actually see a complete lesson here:
    http://www.visuallatin.com/

    In my experience with learning languages, I've found that the most important part of learning is to interact with the language on various levels so it will stick. Visual Latin does this and may provide a great addition to the Latin curriculum you teach your children.

    I'd love to talk to you more and give you a coupon for our product to try it out. Please feel free to email me at info@visuallatin.com and we can chat a little more.

    Many thanks and a very Happy Thanksgiving to your family!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, Ticia, Quinine is a medicine to treat Malaria.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not heard this before. Now I have an excuse to go out and buy some tonic water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great blog full of incredible ideas! I'm a mom to four year old boy/girl twins. We're interest-led learners, but we find a lot of Charlotte Mason ideas that we really like. I'll be sure to check in often to see more ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.