Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Take A Firefly Walk

"And lavishly to left and right,
The fireflies, like golden seeds,
Are sown upon the night." -Riley
from The Handbook of Nature Study
Every June we look forward to the first nights we see lots of fireflies flashing in the twilight... for that means we will take a firefly walk through the neighborhood. We gather jars... and head outside.
The fireflies almost seem to come to you. It seems that all you have to do is hold out your hand.
Of course we must stop for any cat we see and pet them.


We let them all go at the of the walk, so that they can continue to light up the night.

Don't you want to go on a firefly walk, too?


Originally posted: 6/21/10

6 comments:

  1. Sadly, I don't think we have any fireflies here, or at least none I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to! I used to do this when I was a kid myself. Beautiful memory. Now, we live in a big city so my kids never tried doing this. I hope they will.

    P.S.
    You are welcome to join our Bee Wise meme every Saturday. Just come back to link up your post: anything you think that is worth learning (especially for our homeschoolers).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fireflies are the best part of summer according to my girls. There's a lot of them here this summer- more than usual.

    lisa (5 orange potatoes)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how wonderful. We haven't been up north to see fireflies, as yet, your photos are great! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful thing to do! I have never seen a firefly. Love the pictures of their happy faces on your firefly walk. :)
    I've featured your post in a round up of summer nature projects here: http://sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/all-year-round-week-sixteen-7-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've since come to the conclusion that fireflies are in our area if the grass isn't grown.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.