1. Trace the container you are going to use.
2. Place a strip of masking tape down the side of the container.
3. Pour one cup of water into the container from a measuring cup.
4. Mark where the water line is on the tape with a marker. Do you want to change your estimate?
5. Continuing adding cups of water until the container is full, marking where each up comes on the tape.
They boys were surprised at first to find out that the one container on the left, which was the taller of the two, held only one cup whereas the one on the right, although shorter, contained four cups! This is a dramatic way of showing how much shape and width have an impact on the volume capacity of a container.
- Elephants GEMS guide
- Math Their Way