Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

March 4-10, 2016, Our Homeschool Weekly Report: Spring Break


March 4-10, 2016, Spring Break
The view from one of our living room windows. That is one of the renovator's trucks.

The first morning of our spring break started out with snow covering the fence and trees. 
Quentin at the roller rink.

Steven took off the day and we went out to Friendly's for lunch with Hope and Eddie. After lunch, the boys went roller skating with friends while the adults shopped at a organic produce market. 
The market had incredible prices and so I bought a whole table full of vegetables and fruit as well as three potted plants for less than $50. This meant, however, that the next day I spent processing all this produce so that it didn't go to waste. I made Teriyaki Mushrooms, two pans of Ratatouille, Why the Cleric Fainted, salads, two Blueberry Buttermilk cakes. There was also ingredients for Beef Stew, Banana Pudding and Katie made a Bananas Foster Pie, which were made later on in the week. We will be shopping there for most of our produce from now on.
On Sunday, Steven drove me to my sister-in-law, Brenda's house and the three of us ate dinner at our favorite Japanese restaurant, which was very nice. Steven then went back home and I spent the week with Brenda. The week was very restful and mostly uneventful, which was just fine for us.
We did do a couple of things, however. We went to see this actress (who also plays the queen for the Maryland Renaissance Faire) that does a hour-long monologue as Queen Elizabeth I, which was packed full of history. She taught us a lot about the culture of the period, including proper court manners and a period dance. It was absolutely wonderful.
We also went to Brownie's Beach which is part of Calvert Cliffs, Maryland, which has lovely beaches for shell and fossil hunting, cliffs,
and little bridges and a beautiful boardwalk walking path. The weather was gorgeous (upper 70's to low 80's) and the spring peepers came out to sing for us. So you see, the week started out with snow and ended up with us wearing short sleeves. 
The rest of the family also had a restful week, I am told, despite the fact that the home repairs are still underway.


How was your week?


Join me at...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great and much needed break. I love the idea of the Farmer's Market, but I am horrible at actually cooking what I buy unless I do it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weather sounded kind of like ours except we didn't have snow but lots of rain. This past weekend and the next few days have been / will be gorgeous! I'm glad the weather shaped up for you in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of that presentation!
    Your statement on produce reminds me I have mushrooms waiting to be made into cream of mushroom soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely week! The weather's crazy at the moment even over here. I can't believe you had that much snow and then it all went!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.