Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Why do you write a blog?

This question was passed to me by Marie of Marie's Pastiche. I am honored to be asked by her because her blog is one of my very favorites. If you don't already know her blog, you must go see it.
How Groundhog's Garden Grew

Halloween Necklaces

How does my blog differ from other blogs in its genre? 

There are a lot of homeschooling blogs out there, it is true. So, why do I think I have something unique to offer? Well, I didn't start out to be a homeschool projects blogger. I started out to just to record for my children all that we do together, so whether there were other such blogs out there, was not my concern. There is nothing in this world I enjoy more than being with my children and I wanted them to be able to look back and enjoy remembering all the fun times we have. (All the photos in this post have links to my very favorite posts.)
He Asked To Go Out to Play...
Then as I began posting about what we did, people began asking me for explanations of how exactly we did the things we were doing. So, I began making more tutorial posts, and so the style of blogging that I do now was born.  I think we have an unique style of homeschooling as it doesn't seem to fit wholly in any category. I favor Charlotte Mason, but I am not strictly in that style. Some claim me as an unschooler, some talk about my classical bent, with all the Greek and Latin we do. I like to think of myself as a liberal arts teacher, and I think that is a little unique.
Foil Icicle Joy

Why do I write what I do?

Other than the tutorials and activities that I show on my blog, I also want to describe how I school, and so I try to show some of how I do it through my Weekly Wrap-Up posts. I think the most important thing we can teach our children is how to get the most joy out of their lives, and it is this that I most want to blog about.


The Lemonade Stand

How does my writing process work?

I actually use my blog as an organizer for my homeschooling. I have in my drafts folder all the topics I want to cover and the activities I want to offer my children to do in the process of learning about these various topics. It is my planner, of sorts. Then, as we accomplish these tasks, I add the photos and the details of what we actually did and voilia! A new post is born.

Walking in the Snow at Night
I also wanted to mention that I have been amazed at the homeschooling blogging community there is out there. I have "met" and consider my friends people from all over the country, and even in other countries around the world. They have strengthened and encouraged me time and time again. My son has developed Pen Pal friendships with a few of them, and so he, too has friends all over. If only we had the money to visit them face to face. :) That would be an ultimate vacation!

An Unexpected Surprise
And now to pass the question on to some of my favorite bloggers.

Blessings from a Blogger
I believe these have already been tagged, but if they haven't, consider yourselves tagged, too. (If you have already written a post like this, link it up in the comments.)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Phyllis! I tagged you, and so glad you wrote :) I believe you succeed every day in finding ways with your kids to get the most joy out of life, and there is a whole community grateful that you record it here. Thanks for posting!
    http://mariespastiche.blogspot.ca/2014/03/why-i-blog-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful reasons! I love how blogging has changed for you - I can relate to giving more information - saves time to give it up front knowing you will be asked! Neat how you linked to your favorite posts, too. So happy you do blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging is much like life, isn't it? It changes and grows as we change and grow. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure glad you blog. It has been great getting to know you from a distance. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.