Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Snapshot Summary, December 13-19 Advent Activities {The Week with Lots of Cookies!}

December 13-19
We have had lots of Christmas joys this week. Sometimes it is the most simple things that are the best. Steven and I went grocery shopping one day and Katie watched the boys. When I came home, I discovered that they had put on Christmas music and sang and danced to them. They even created little movies of their Christmas joys for me to see. That is the heart of the Christmas season. 
What else have we done this week?
We have finished decorating the tree.
 Steven, Katie and James hunted the elusive mistletoe.
I wanted to make kissing balls this year, but I am not sure we will get around to them!
 Quentin and Katie made a Christmas-opoly game for us to play.
(No, we did not put Epsom Salts in our cookies. The bag was on the table for a craft later.)
We made sugar cookies to take to our homeschool Cookie Baking party.
Quentin, Katie and I, along with some friends, made Chocolate Chip Cookies.
 Seven families in our homeschool group got together and made seven different type cookies with the kids. Each family also brought sugar cookies for the kids to decorate when they weren't helping with the baking.
James' group make Oatmeal Raisin cookies.

Each family went home with a dozen each of seven types of cookies: Toll House Chocolate Chip, Raspberry-Almond Shortbread Thumbprint cookies

Oatmeal Raisin cookies, Welsh Cookies, Chocolate and Strawberry cookies,  Peanut Blossoms,
Don't you just love how the little guys decorated the sugar cookies? We brought lots more undecorated sugar cookies back home to decorate.

and Chocolate Caramel Pretzel cookies


 Our Anniversary is also in December. We didn't consider the problem of how hectic {and short on money} this time of year would be once we had kids, when we first got married. Often our anniversary gets lost in all the holiday busyness. 
Every year we have a tradition of putting all our family members names in a hat. Each person draws a name and buys a Secret Santa present for that person. This avoids the problem of the children having to buy or make presents for each member of the family (7x6= 42 presents!) We go to Cracker Barrel (one of the few places we can all have dinner) for dinner and buy the gifts in their shop. This year we chose to go on our anniversary, so we could celebrate that as well. I think this will be a continued tradition.
 We made our annual gingerbread village. Some years I make the gingerbread, some years I buy kits, but this year I made them out of graham crackers. I even found gluten and casein free graham crackers for my two that need them.
 James even made a nativity scene with candy.
 They put them all on the kitchen table and put a train set that goes through the village.

Join me at...

10 comments:

  1. What fun you all are having. I should look into the gluten and casein free graham crackers. I feel like we are cheating every other day and it is starting to show in Tom Sawyer. Just a few more days and we will get out act back together.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas Monopoly! Awesome! My children would love it!...That is also an amazing cookie display. We haven't even made cookies yet where we're still awash in birthday cake from Rose's birthday. I am going to have to put Christmas cookie making on my to-do list though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lot's of Christmas prep going on!! We've been doing a lot of that too! You guys always pack in so much fun each week! I'm sorry my link up was missing when you visited. It somehow disappeared on me! I took the liberty of adding this post to it. I hope that's okay. If not just let me know and I'll delete it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love their villages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice that you are drawing names now while the children are young. That way as they transition into adulthood and each have their own families gift giving will be enjoyable instead of a hassle. I love this idea.

    Christmas-opoly is a great idea. I remember my 6th grade teacher made Fractshipoly and Decioly to learn fractions and decimals. It was fun to play.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tradition of buying presents is lovely!! I also loved seeing the gingerbread houses - we decorated gingerbread men last night. That's one of my favorite times of the holiday season.

    Phyllis, I hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phyllis, every time I visit here I feel a smile growing. You and your family are just so wonderful. I love all the things you do together. I love the cookie swap!! What a great idea. Our Co-op breaks for December so we don't get to do things like this. Happy Anniversary. It sounds awesome and I would definitely make it your new tradition. Merry Christmas to one of my favorite Homeschool families!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! So many fun things! The cookies look delish and I love the Christmasopoly game!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun week. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely! Wishing you a Merry Christmas Dearheart!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.