Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Our 2013-2014 Curriculum and Snapshot Summary, August 2-8

Snapshot Summary, August 2-8

Our little town of Betterton,  like many little towns across America has an annual celebration aptly named Betterton Day. I had a bit of a guest post by Katie to tell you a bit about the parade.
I've been going to this parade for years now and I think I have it memorized...
 first is a band...
 followed by The Crab...
 then comes the floats.
 They're the only variable.
 After that comes the classic cars...
and tractors...
 followed by a sea of fire engines...

 with an occasional sprinkling of Miss x and so.
And that's the Betterton Day Parade for you.

Sam went to one of his friends' Sweet Sixteen Birthday Party, which was a formal dance. He (reluctantly) let me take a photo of him before he left.
 And here are a few of him at the party.





Quentin and James made some pocket change with a lemonade stand.
Quentin was a bit of a Moth Whisperer this week as he befriended a Silver-spotted Skipper Moth.
He also spotted this interesting insect, which we are yet to identify.


 The boys haven't been able to go down to the beach much this week because of the rain, so we had a Gilligan's Island Family Fun Night. We had fish and fruit tacos, guacamole, fruit salad and these Pineapple Whips. We watched a couple of Gilligan's Island episodes.


 I made some beachy moonsand...


and James made a Gilligan's Island scene.
The boys enjoyed going to their weekly Sport's Night.
This week when it began to rain, some of the older kids went under the awning and played games while the younger kids played on the playground equipment.
We have been playing lots of games...
Turkey, Bacon and Tomato sandwich with red and yellow watermelon
and enjoying lots of fruits of the season.
Garden Update
What have you been up to this week?


Our 2013-2014 Curriculum


Curriculum Week in the 2013 Not Back to School Blog Hop

This week is Curriculum Week at  iHomeschool Network’s Not Back to School Blog Hop, so I have collected all my curriculum posts in one place:










Foreign Language



sources:
related posts:

18 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures! We have the same kind of indoor sandbox lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the first time they have had a sandbox indoors, but they seemed to enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. Sam looks so handsome in his picture!

    We have Round Rock Days, I can't remember if they're on Independence Day or Texas Independence Day. Or maybe both......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think he is quite handsome.

      Delete
  3. Sam is one handsome fellow! I would have loved to have lived in your neck of the woods this week. Just curious how long does a game of Monopoly last in your house? I imagine days.LOL.

    Thank you for sharing and always leaving supportive comments on my blogs. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a Monopoly game lasts more than 3 or 4 hours, we usually give the win to whomever seems in the best position at that point.

      Delete
  4. I love the WWII Monopoly set :-) Monopoly is one of our favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a good way to learn about the timeline of America's involvement in WWII.

      Delete
  5. My kids love lemonade stands. What a great summer week.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quentin does too, even though he never makes much money at them.

      Delete
  6. I love how you brought the beach inside!

    I agree, Sam looks so smart :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was really fun with the scent of the tanning lotion. It went all through the house and it set the mood.

      Delete
  7. I am loving all your photos!! And, of course, you know I loved your plans by subject. You guys have such fun. I want to be your student! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I make all these plans, and then they turn out differently than I planned in the end. So, we shall see how the year unfolds. I can't wait to see how your year unfolds, too.

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure how I missed this post, but I did! What a full and wonderful week you had. Sam looks gorgeous all dressed up, you must have been very proud! I always love seeing mine all dressed up on a Sunday for church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and he had a lot of fun. I love parties where everyone dresses up.

      Delete
  9. Hmmm...I've never have been to Betterton, but I'm pretty sure I've seen that parade before - small town America at its best :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam looks so grown up in his formal outfit! I liked Katie's description of the parade, for some reason it reminded me a bit of opening for Beauty and the Beast movie - every year is the same as before :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.