Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Snapshot Summary, May 10- 16

Snapshot Summary, May 10- 16 

This week was one of those weeks...a week in which you have full intention of doing all sorts of learning activities but it just doesn't happen. Life gets in the way. On those weeks, you just have to surrender to it and begin again the next week. We did have fun at the cemetery.

Cemeteries

 This week we visited a local cemetery in which I knew we had some distant relatives buried.



We also learned about how long people lived then, how some of them died and various other things related to our study of history there.

 Katie finished the counted cross-stitch she started while her grandma was visiting...
Dragon Strike
 Game night continues to be a favorite part of our week...
 The garden is growing beautifully...
The boys planted a maple tree.
We have been planning a birthday party for a secret spy I know. I will show you more about this once we have the party.

 I had the most lovely Mother's Day. It started with Quentin bringing me breakfast in bed (chocolate chip pancakes, strawberries in cream and coffee) and they gave me little gifts throughout the day.
We had these fun baskets for lunch and then we went out to shop for party stuff for Quentin's birthday party next weekend. Steven also took us all out to Rita's for ice cream after dinner.
Also, for Mother's Day, my friend Sylvia at Living and Learning with Our New Normal gave me this sweet award.
best mom of the all time award
Thank you, Sylvia.

What We Enjoyed On The Menu




What we are Reading:
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, C. S. Lewis (Sam is reading this to the boys in the evening.)
  • The Enormous Egg, Butterworth
  • The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis
  • The Maze of Bones, Rick Rioridan
related posts:
    Join me at...

    13 comments:

    1. Love the top-middle action shot. Congratulations to Katie for finishing her craft project. Happy Mother's Day. I hope you are feeling okay with the radiation.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you. She really enjoyed learning cross-stitching from her Grandma. Happy Mother's Day to you, too, Melissa. I am just tired from the radiation. Otherwise just fine.

        Delete
    2. You all had an awesome week even though it wasn't how you planned it. Praying the radiation doesn't take to much out of you. The food on your blog always looks so good.
      Blessings, Dawn

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The Alfredo was yummy. I think next week will be a little better because I will know what to expect.

        Delete
    3. I can't wait to hear about the spy party.

      What is that game? It looks like it'd be right up our ally.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It is called Dragon Strike.

        Delete
    4. Phyllis, I know just what you mean about life getting in the way. Isn't that one of the wonderful things about home education? It is ok when life happens because life is ALWAYS going to happen. I love the cemetery pictures. We adore cemeteries. Have you ever done marker rubbings? We love doing that. Katie's cross stitch is lovely. I used to cross stitch all the time. I hated every minute of it. ;) I am a 'get it done now' kinda girl. Love how your garden is coming along. Your weeks are, as always beautiful. Happy weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, James and Quentin made some rubbings of the tombstones. I am not a crafty type either, but Katie is quite talented at that sort of thing.

        Delete
    5. What a fun week...lots of learning going on despite not "homeschooling". Lol. Love the pictures! How cool with the gravestone rubbings! Enjoy the week!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, they learn without us sometimes, don't they?

        Delete
    6. Phyllis - bless you with all your lovely days despite life getting in the way. I love the photo of the bare feet next to the garden! And a most deserved Mother's Day full of treats. We've been talking about counted cross stitch projects over here. I do those all the time growing up!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you. Happy Mother's Day to you, too. I love summer bare feet, too.

        Delete
    7. As always your week looks like it was jam packed with lots of fun learning experiences! Thanks for joining us at Friendship Friday!

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.