|Snapshot Summary, April 26-May 2, Spring Break, week 1: Grandparent's Edition|
One day while Steven and I were gone to a doctor's appointment, Katie invited the little boys to be creative...
The turnip seeds have sprouted.
Visiting Grandma Proctor
|My brother, Phil and his wife, Brenda met us at my mother's house for a little family reunion.|
Katie entertained everyone with her origami creations...
and very tiny cranes.
Have you ever seen such a small origami crane?
and then she taught others how to make origami ladybugs.
We played games.
Uncle Phil had never played Mancala before.
|My other brother, Bryan, who lives in an apartment at my mother's house, came by for a visit, too.|
May Day Baskets
The boys made May Day "Baskets"...
and put them on our neighbor's doors.
Grandparents From California Visiting
Grandpa and Grandma Bergenholtz are here from California to visit for a week.
They brought Alex a football Jersey from their local college.
|The Three Carls...Steven Carl, Carl Alexander and Carl David Bergenholtz|
On The Menu
|Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken from Life as a Lofthouse|
|Crockpot Corn Chowder from The Crockin' Girls|
|Overnight Slow Cooker Grits from Hodgepodge|
|Creole Shrimp and Cheese Grits with Andouille Sausage from Hammock Tracks|
|Djej Besla-Chicken and Onion Tagine from Saveur|
|Short Order Mini Egg Casseroles from Imagine Childhood|
What we are Reading:
- Prince Caspian, C. S. Lewis (Sam is reading this to the boys in the evening.)
- Snow Treasure, Marie McSwigan
- Day of the Dragon King,(MTH #14), Mary Pope Osborne
- Tree Finder: a manual for the identification of trees by their Leaves, May Watts
- The Sibley guide to Trees
- Geometry for Every Kid, Janice VanCleaves
- Jesse Owens, Tony Gentry
- Jesse Owens, Running Into History, Time For Kids series
- The Candy Bombers: the untold story of the Berlin Airlift and America's Finest Hour, Andrei Cherny
- Tell Them We Remember: the story of the Holocaust, Susan D. Bachrach
- Mrs Katz and Tush, Patricia Polacco
- Always Remember Me: How one Family Survived World War II, Marisabina Russo
- Six Million Paper Clips: The Making of a Children's Holocaust Museum,Peter W. Schroeder and Dagmar Schroeder-Hildebrand
- H is for Honor: a military family alphabet, Devin Scillian and Victor Juhasz
- The Sign Painter, Allen Say
- Mythology of the World, Neil Philip
- Eyewitness: Mummy
- Eyewitness: Mythology
- Kingfisher Voyager: Wild Weather
- Rabbit-cadabra (Bunnicula and Friends) by James Howe and Jeff Mack
- World War II Days: Discover the past
- Tea With Milk, Allen Say
- World War II for Kids: a history with activities
- The Cats in Krasinski Square
Join me at...
- Weekly Wrap-Up by Kris at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers
- Collage Friday by Mary at Home Grown Learners