Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Book Club: "It's A Jungle Out There", part 5: Surviving in the Rainforest


source

Assignment 15

  • Read, "It' a Jungle Out There" written by Ron Snell, Chapter 15: Yarinacoca to Ingo Maria
  • Food is plentiful in the rainforest but it will have to be caught and gathered. Design some traps, snares and fishing equipment that can be made out of the readily available materials. Make sketches of your designs.

Assignment 16

  • Read, "It' a Jungle Out There" written by Ron Snell, Chapter 16: Tingo Maria to Lima
  • What is it like to use your traps, snares and fishing equipment? How do you prepare the food to eat? Write a descriptive journal entry.

Assignment 17

  • Research and determine what edible things there are to gather in the rainforest. Add this information and sketches in your journal.

Assignment 18

  • You have a radio but it only has a very short battery life. What short messages do you send each day and to whom?

Assignment 19

  • You have encounters with wild animals such as snakes and alligators. Write a descriptive journal entry about what this is like. You might need to research about these animals to see what it would be like. Optionally, you can find out what other animals would be living in this environment and use one of them instead.

Assignment 20

  • You have to cross the river and avoid Piranha. How? Write a descriptive journal entry about  what this is like.
Sources:
  • I am not sure if I made this unit up entirely myself or if I found some of it on the internet. If you know if any of this has come from a source I have not credited, please let me know, and I will make the appropriate corrections.

6 comments:

  1. Great information Phyllis. Keilee just finished helping a friend with a Rainforest project. We are both fascinated by all the animal and plant life found there. I think I am going to go back and save all these lessons. Keilee would really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear, I should give up coming up with school plans for my kids and just follow along with yours. Always so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some fabulous plans, I've just read through them all over the series of posts, Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Erin's suggestion of just following your plans........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...enjoy! That is what they are there for. I keep finding stuff from when I taught Katie and going, "Oh, wow, I remember this...it was fun." So I post them.

      Delete
  5. Goodness Phyllis, these plans contain possibilities of so much creativity in learning. How lovely of your to share them. What you mention above about stuff you did with Katie, that is the thing about home educating - so many happy learning moments that are shared between parent and child or learning moments as a family. We walk a precious journey. And here you are with years and years of memories and experience. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.