Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Snapshot Summary, December 28-Jan 4: Christmas Break, part II

Illness struck our house just after Christmas, so we have not been up to much this week. We are still on Christmas break from school. We did celebrate life a little.

James turned 12 on the 28th.

We were all so sick still on New Year's Eve, so our activities were limited and easy, most of them centering around cooling drinks and snacks.
5:00 Dinner was a mini-subs bar and a fruit tray
6:00 Sherbet Floats, made with sherbet and ginger ale
7:00 Puzzle was set out for people to work on throughout the evening
8:00 12 Frozen Sugared grapes on skewers
9:00 Movie {Night at the Museum II} I had planned to have popcorn, but nobody wanted it.
10:00 Toast of bubbling apple cider


We had our traditional pork roast and Hoppin' John for New Year's Day, but this time we had the Hoppin' John stuffed in Poblano peppers. We also had collard greens.
source
Hoppin' John Stuffed Poblano Peppers



"Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year. Rice for riches and peas for peace."
- Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.

I had my surgery  on the third, and all went well. I came out of anesthesia with quite a bit of nauseous  so I stayed the night, but I am home now and doing really well.
Things went so smoothly in fact that one of the nurses said that I must have had somebody praying for me, and I told her that I had people in several states (and some foreign countries) praying for me.
Thank you everyone for your prayers. They did make a difference.

Links:

6 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad surgery went well. I hope everyone else in the house is on the mend now.

    Oh, and I can't imagine NOT wanting popcorn. We love popcorn here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for prayers! So pleased all went well. I hope recovery will be just as smooth for you for your surgery and for the illness going round your family. Take care Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been keeping up as much as usual on blog reading- I did not know you were having surgery. I'll add my prayers for a continued recovery!! Hope all your sick ones are feeling better. Alex (I am pretty sure I have the name right) looks so sad! That is just yucky when they feel that awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know that all went well. I've been thinking about you. Sorry sickness visited you, same here. Still recovering from a nasty cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about all of the illness, but it sounds like you managed to celebrate the New Year despite that. I am glad that the surgery went well!

    Happy Birthday to James :) Jenna turns 12 soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to hear that your surgery went well. Thanks for linking up to Its a Wrap. My site was down last week so I couldn't host. I am up and running and look forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.