Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, November 16-22, week 12

Snapshot Summary, November 16-22

There has been time for creativity, such as this sketch by Katie...
and James' Lego creations such as this double-decker bridge...
and this elevator with a counter weight.
Quentin also made a clay Nativity set, which we will be unveiling on the first day of Advent.
We went up to Roan Mountain State Park to explore.
We had a great Thanksgiving, complete with a Pilgrim and a (Lego) turkey...
and we enjoyed a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving snack while watching the movie.
week 12
We have had so many doctor's appointments these past couple months!
I just had to keep this cute school excuse for James' scrapbook.
This week I had my lymph nodes surgery, so Katie helped out with school.  (So as not to take up too much space in this blog about it, I have started a new blog, On The Mend dedicated to my course of treatment through breast cancer, that you may check on as you wish. I will only be mentioning my course of treatment here if it affects our homeschool from this point on.) They reviewed some things that we had studied before.

We looked at the Kingdom Fungi and found some on our nature walk at Roan Mountain.
With Israel in the news, I thought it would be a good place for us to "visit" in our geography studies.
We also worked on our studies of Arabia.
Continuing with their studies of measuring with non-standard units, Quentin and James did some measurement of body parts using string and developed and test methods of placing these measurements in order by size. This lead to some comparison activities. Next week we will do some graphing related to these measurements.
Sam is continuing with Teaching Textbook Algebra and doing really well.
The younger boys enjoyed reading and making pictures of Pete the Cat.

What we are Reading:
  • The Mystery of the Dinosaur Graveyard, Mary Adrian
  • James and the Giant Peach on CD, Roald Dahl
  • Pete the Cat and his Four Groovy Buttons, Eric Litwin (for fun)
  • Gilgamesh, the King, Ludmila Zeman
  • The Arabian Nights, Tarnowska Wafa

Related posts:

Join me at...

12 comments:

  1. So many great lessons! Love the photos!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE all the Lego creations, and the Pete the Cat drawings! And, those outdoor photos are just gorgeous! Our orthodontist's office gives out similar "excuses".
    I am so glad that Katie is able to help out when you are dealing with surgeries and recovering. You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny that Susan mentioned all three things I wanted to say: Awesome Legos, awesome Pete the Cat, and will keep praying for you (and will check up your new blog too!)

      Delete
    2. Thank you all so much for your prayers. They mean so much to me.

      Delete
  3. I've very intrigued with Katie's sketch. It's quite interesting and unique!

    Lotsa Lego building!

    How great that Katie could step up and help out with school as you recover. How're you doing? Feeling OK I hope!

    We watched Charlie Brown too. It's actually pretty informative, the pilgrim one, and the other is just so traditional. I never thought about doing a snack around the movie that! That would've been fun!

    Oh, and us busy? We're trying to keep up with you guys! ::wink:: BTW, I love that you're photos are big. It makes it easier to enjoy them more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got so much done on top of surgery! I think I would just be a puddle.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you find the time to keep up so many blogs? I'm doing good to keep up one blog. Now to head over and follow the other one.

    I'll echo the big photos of the comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving snack! So perfect! We always watch the movie, but next year we will be snacking too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lego creations are awesome! I am glad Katie is such a wonderful big sister, the boys managed to cover quite a bit in school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm praying for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Katie's drawing! Great job. Love the Lego creations too. What creative kids you have. Look at those Pete the Cat drawings. I LOVE them. Phyllis we pray for you every day. Hope that the surgery went well and you will be back 100% soon. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. Thank you for praying for me. The first surgery went very well. Thank you. You can read about it here... http://bergblog-onthemend.blogspot.com/

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.