Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Pioneers (1840-1860)

Little House in the Big Woods
Thimble Pictures
Our Experience with
Molasses Candy Pulling
Little Log Cabin
model complete with daubing

Little House on the Prairie
Covered Wagon model
Little House on the Prairie
Paper Quilt Squares
Spinning Wool with a Drop Spindle
The boys made "Tin Punch" necklaces using a hammer, nail and a frozen juice lid...
at Farm Fest, but they could have easily been made at home, too.
By The Shores of Silver Lake
Little House Imagination Station "Lapbook"

photo from Thrive
We tried to make these Rice Krispie Quilt Squares like the ones at Thrive, but all we ended up with is a lot of brightly colored treat blobs.

books:
  • Little House on the Prairie series, Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Rachel's Journey: The Story of a Pioneer Girl, Marissa Moss
  • Bound For Oregon, Jean Van Leeuwen
  • Three Names, Patricia MacLachlan (K-4th grade),  "Recalling his days as a student in a one-room prairie schoolhouse, Great-grandfather reminisces about his beloved dog Three Names."
inspiration and resources:
(Next Post: Transcontinental Railroad and the Telegraph, 1860's)

11 comments:

  1. Oh, we started the Little House series at a busy time so we haven't had time to do many crafts along with it. You've inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny about your treat blobs. When I first saw the picture, I thought "I can finally do a quilt project that my boys will get on board with". I'll have to look in to that a bit first! All your other projects turned out stunning.

    About the "daubing"- we made a wattle and daub wall in a friends yard (as part of a co-op) and for years after it was still standing. They tried to kick it down and it just wouldn't go! You wouldn't think so, but it is actually quite sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not all of my projects come out stunning. I used to leave off of the posts anything that didn't turn out figuring that me posting about it was not helpful to people and then it came to me that people want to hear about the failures and near failures too so that if they have them as well they don't feel as bad.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure that our attempt at those Rice Krispie quilt squares would come out the same but I'm pretty sure we'll have to try them out. Great ideas in this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if your results are any better than mine. :)

      Delete
  4. Hmmmm........ Maybe I could have the kids make waddle and daub on my garden wall so it quits falling down...... Something to do when it's not 2million degrees outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in the name of learning history, right? :)

      Delete
  5. we are huge fans of little house. it looks like you guys did tons of activities. i want to make the molasses taffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of our harder projects. Perhaps it is influenced by climate? It was very humid that day...?

      Delete
  6. great ideas! I love the brightly colored treat blob. That's so me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just being real here. :) Not everything turns out as planned.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.