Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

This Moment, Bubbles and Chalk Edition and Snapshot Summary, July 20-26, week 36

{this moment}
A Friday ritual. A single photo - no words - capturing a moment from the week. A simple, special, extraordinary moment. A moment I want to pause, savor and remember. If you're inspired to do the same, leave a link to your 'moment' in the comments at SouleMama.

Snapshot Summary, July 20-26

I attended a charity event, Bowls Make it Better at Kil'n Time with friends. For your ticket, you get a simple dinner and you get to choose a bowl which had been painted or handcrafted by local artists and donated to the event to take home. They also had some really gorgeous bowls that were auctioned by a silent auction.
This street (the street Kil'n Time is on) in Bristol is on the dividing line between Virginia and Tennessee; one lane is in Va and the other is in TN.
On Saturday we went to Warrior's Path State Park. We explored the whole park, played in the stream, blew bubbles, drew with chalk, played Frisbee Golf.
Quentin had been working for days making puppets for a puppet show and he brought them with him to the park to use the stage they have there.


After Quentin's show, he let James make his own show with the puppets.
Perfect cake for the boy who hates to make decisions -four cakes in one!
(devil's food, coconut, red velvet and  german chocolate)
 We celebrated James' 1/2 birthday (11 1/2). 
We celebrate his half-birthday because his real birthday comes three days after Christmas and gets lost in the Christmas celebrations.
 We experimented with a model that showed squid propulsion...
 We completed a model of a squid...
and worked on Native American projects.
We also played Inuit games like blanket toss...
 and made totem pole pictures. (I will post more about them when they are finished.)
To celebrate the completion of our 50-states study, we had a snack party.
 They picked whatever they wanted for their own homemade snack mix and we talked and quizzed each other about the different states.
The boys played in a little tent in the backyard.

We are now reading The Happy Hollisters and are still reading The Hobbit.
Join me at...

13 comments:

  1. Man you do a lot in a week! It sounds like a neat charity event that you attended. How fun to have a puppet show in the park that the kids can create all on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the 50 state snack party! What a great way to end the study!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an active week! Your 50 state study party was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That park looks like so much fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bowls are beautiful! Bowls are my weakness. I just love beautiful painted bowls. I love the Bristol picture. I always knew Bristol, Tn but not Virgina! That birthday cake is awesome! I sent the picture to my friend whose daughter can never make up her mind about her b'day cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful week! The puppet stage is awesome:)

    I love the four-in-one cake! I have to say that it would be the perfect cake for me as well:)

    The Happy Hollisters?! I remember liking that book as a child:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to decide on a birthday cake, I don't blame them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heading over to Pinterest to see if you posted more details about the squid propulsion! Looks like a great week all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I forgot to add the link to my post on it. I have added it now....
      http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/cephalopods-squid.html

      Delete
  9. The bowl event sounds awesome! I love the puppet theater, and the cake is such a fun idea :) I think it's great that you celebrated the completion of your 50 states study with a party! We have several of The Happy Hollisters series here at our house...my Jenna especially enjoyed them. Thanks for linking Phyllis :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun week!! I love the half birthday idea ~ what a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many fun things! I love the 4-in-1 birthday cake--I might be able to adapt that for my 2 boys who have birthdays two days apart. ;-)
    I loved the Happy Hollister books when I was growing up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a great week with lots and lots of joyful moments! What a terrific idea for a four in one cake! And I love the half birthday. My birthday is the beginning of January and I usually get a few presents with Christmas wrap on them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.