Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

This Moment, 8-Years Old Edition and Snapshot Summary, May 14-18, week 30

{this moment}

A Friday ritual. A single photo - no words - capturing a moment from the week. A simple, special, extraordinary moment. A moment I want to pause, savor and remember. If you're inspired to do the same, leave a link to your 'moment' in the comments at SouleMama.
 

Snapshot Summary, May 14-18

Photobucket

Strawberry Patch

For the past four years, we have been going to the same strawberry patch. 
They have a hay ride and we meet with all of our homeschooling friends.

Quentin's 8th Birthday

My baby turned 8 years old on Friday and his request for a birthday "cake" was a stack of Katie's no-bake cookies

History and Geography

Strawberry Soiree of the 1850's

"Strawberry parties were so popular in the 1850's that people said the country had 'strawberry fever.'" 
-Abraham Lincoln for Kids: His Life and Times With 21 Activities By Janis Herbert

Presidents Tyler and Polk (1841-49)

Alex's notebook page

Up and Down the Mississippi

map from Interactive 3-D Maps: American History by Donald Silver and Patricia Wynne

The boys put together and colored maps to show the economic importance of the River boats on the Mississippi from 1840-1860. They identified the states that surrounded the Mississippi River.

Wyoming

We added Wyoming to our geography album,
made cow pictures and
ate Cowboy Dinner casserole to celebrate.
Our blog friends at The Fantastic Five sent us postcards from Tennessee, which was a great way to get the boys excited about our trip.

Math

Perimeters


Quentin placed Unifix cubes around the perimeter of the base design, snapped the cubes together into sticks of tens, counted them and recorded the total. He repeated this many times for the various designs of six to ten.

Recording Number Patterns from Surrounding Patterns

We didn't have enough cubes of any one color, so he had to combine colors to equal  each row. This is fine as long as he doesn't get the colors confused.
Using Surrounding Pattern pages, Quentin put the Unifix cubes back on the graph paper on top of the patterns. Then he took the cubes for each row and snap the cubes together and compare the number of cubes with those used in the previous surrounding. He broke the rods into rows of ten and whatever is left over.

Favorite Resources This Week

We are watching this true story of the English schoolteacher who travels to Siam to become the King's appointed tutor for the royal children in the 1860s. It is based on this book, which I have enjoyed reading.
This is a great modernized version of the story, written for ages 9 and up.
We love it.

We will be taking a vacation until June 7, so my posting will be a little different for the next few weeks.
Oh. and look at what Sam found in the backyard.
Yes, it is a very long snake skin.

13 comments:

  1. Have a fabulous vacation!!!

    I just found Anna and the King at our homeschool used booksale, so it's good see you talk about it here and also the movie.

    Happy birthday to your 8 year old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your strawberry soiree! What a fun way to make history come to life. I really enjoyed seeing all of your photos. I hope you have a wonderful vacation.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have such wonderful weeks! I love the pictures of the strawberry patch. And I love that Quentin's cake is a big batch of his sisters cookies. That's so sweet. :) Happy birthday, Quentin!!

    That is a long snake skin! We've found one too, but it wasn't nearly as long.

    I hope you have a great vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am leaving your site and going straight to Amazon to find the book. I think my girls will love it for some summer reading. Then we can follow up with a movie night. Thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeeeeeeeeew...snaaaaaaaaaake...aaaaaaaaah! If that's its skin, that means it's even longer, and on the loose - in your backyard!?! That might be enough to keep me inside for the rest of the summer :)

    Happy birthday, Quentin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these collages are so happy!! What a fantastic birthday with a stack of no bake cookies! And the strawberry patch - yummy fun! Happy vacation!! and TN bound!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the birthday "cake"...I love those no bake cookies too:) Hope your Q. had a very happy birthday! Beautiful strawberry photos! We're looking for a place to pick them locally...I have a few plants in the garden, but not near enough to satisfy our love of strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a world of wonder, joy and creativity your children enjoy!!!! my son found a snake skin about that long last week and I freaked a little bit!!!! Hope you have a WONDERFUL vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Quentin! I bet that was a yummy cake :) I have a niece who just turned 8 a few days ago.
    The strawberry soiree looks like so much fun!
    I absolutely love the King and I! The girls and I watched the movie a while back. I read the original book many, many years ago. I am going to look for that version you mentioned...I bet my girls would really like it.
    Thanks for linking up with Favorite Resources, Phyllis. Have a wonderful vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. we went strawberry picking for the first time this week. Best strawberries I've ever had. visiting from WUHS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Quentin! What a packed week of learning fun! I love the perimeter math activity. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost forgot to say Happy Birthday to your BIG boy! Happy Birthday Quentin!

    Have you seen the movie from the early 2000s (can you believe I'm saying that?) "Anna and the King"? It'd be good for your older boys and Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday!
    (I love the snake skin, of course!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.