Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

This Moment at The Beach In Spring and Snapshot Summary, March 12-17, week 21

{this moment}

A Friday ritual. A single photo - no words - capturing a moment from the week. A simple, special, extraordinary moment. A moment I want to pause, savor and remember. If you're inspired to do the same, leave a link to your 'moment' in the comments at SouleMama.
 
Snapshot Summary, March 12-17 





Photobucket
With some days of warm weather this week, we did some of our regular writing and reading outdoors.
The boys also spent a great deal of time playing and riding bikes outside all week.
As far as more hands-on learning goes, we are continuing our study of the Corps of Discovery...
and made plant presses and pressed some plants from our nature walks... mostly four and five leaf clovers.
They added some sketches of plants to their journals, just as Lewis and Clark did.
Quentin's sketch narration of the Corps of Discovery shooting a Grizzly bear.
They also added some pages to their notebooks.

We added Louisiana to our 50 states postcard-geography album and enjoyed a Louisiana inspired dinner to celebrate.

On Wednesday, Katie took the little boys for their first walk down to the beach this year. They had a fun time in the sand but reported (not unexpectedly) that the water was still cold.
We made our own Voltaic Pile battery.

We had some early St. Patrick's Day's fun.
Quentin made a Leprechaun out of Sculpy to be a centerpiece for the table.
We also did some Skittles math...
and explored Eratosthenes Sieve.
 And for St. Patrick's Day, we had our annual treasure hunt...

 and a Irish-inspired dinner of corned beef, braised cabbage, hasselback potatoes, Colcannon and Soda bread.
 Steven found some Celtic suncatchers for the boys to paint.
 Homemade Shamrock shakes were a hit...
as was Katie's gfcf rainbow cake.

"May the road rise to meet you May the wind be always at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields, and, Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand."
  
 Quentin made his own Leprechaun hat for his stuffed owl out of a planter.
The youngest boys enjoyed bike riding in the warm weather.


13 comments:

  1. I would love to live that close to a beach. How lucky. Quentin's drawings are really good! I am impressed. And I love the Leprechaun too! Happy almost St. Patrick's Day Phyllis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to pause at that top photo of the beach - wonderful! I bet the water is still cold but I love all your sunshine-y pictures this week, your St. Patrick's day fun - and especially the flowers added to journals like Lewis and Clark. What a great week - makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It looks WARM there! LOL We might just hit 70 next week which is more like June weather around here! And if it does I have outdoor (stroll in the woods) plans! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhhh.....beach. I will be at one next week this time. :-)

    I love the way you teach to each of your children's loves and strengths. They are blessed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Corps of Discovery bear hunt!!

    I wish we lived just a walk away from the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the beach! I miss living close to it. Love the green milk - I am planning on doing this for tomorrow, only I am not sure what the reaction will be to green milk. Could go either way in our house...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a wonderful week! I am so impressed with all of the different ways you are having them learn! I think you are very creative! :-) And, how wonderful to live near a beach! Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comments. Have a great weekend! Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a busy, creative week. I love all of the hands on activities. Lovely beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would so love living near the beach...*sigh*...

    (P.S. This week is a bit of a Spring Break for us, so I am DETERMINED to get those Tennessee postcards in the mail to y'all...geesh...I am so sorry for my tardiness...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful activities! The battery looks really cool. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love reading all of your posts. My son would love to try your battery idea. I will be showing him this when he wakes up this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you do so many wonderful hands on activities! We had some wonderful weather this week, too, but never made it outside for "school." That's on the list for this week, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post was filled with so many good things, especially food! Corned beef and cabbage was one of my favorite meals when I was growing up!

    Love the last photo too! Enjoy the beautiful weather:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.