Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

This Beautiful Moment and Snapshot Summary, August 22-28, summer session, week 3

{this moment} A Friday ritual. A single photo - no words - capturing a moment from the week. A simple, special, extraordinary moment. A moment I want to pause, savor and remember. If you're inspired to do the same, leave a link to your 'moment' in the comments at SouleMama.
Snapshot Summary August 22-28

Monday
22
Steven had to go to his doctor's appointment to see if he will need more surgery on his knee.
Katie took the boys to the community pirate ship and along the way, they picked up this mushroom to bring home.
We examined it, took pictures of it and then snipped off the cap and put it on black paper to make a spore print.
While James read with Katie, I had Quentin gather some natural materials of late summer...
and we formed three groups of them. I had him count each group and write down the quantities.
He then added the numbers and then counted all the objects to confirm his addition.
upper-left: Katie (age 19), upper-right: Alex (age 17)
lower-left: Sam (age 14), lower-right: Phyllis
We made chalk pastels to finish our pond study...

and our study of the water lily and lotus.
Steven, it turns out, by the way, does not need any additional surgery, so our next goal is for him to be able to put weight on the leg, which will be in another two and a half months.

Tuesday
23
Our morning was busy. While Steven worked with his Physical Therapist, I made a little set of Medieval/Renaissance buildings for Quentin made from this template at Mini-eco to go with our readings about Islamic Empires in the Renaissance.
It is made from a cereal box. Katie and I spray painted the side with the writing on it...
but left the other side plain.
This inspired much play.

We finished our Queen Anne's Lace Nature Study.
We checked on our spore prints, which had come along quite nicely.
I even re-set the mushroom for another print.
After lunch we worked on our Maine scrapbook page.
In the afternoon, the floor and walls began to move in a rippling fashion. Steven, being from California, immediately recognized it as an earthquake. I couldn't believe it! Turns out it register 5.9 and centered in Richmond, Va. Now I can say I have experienced an earthquake.


Wednesday
24
Quentin took this photo of our rose in bloom.
 My friend, Denise, took me to the grocery store in the morning and we didn't get back until the afternoon.


The boys spent their time while I was gone building and pretending.
I helped Quentin work on a page in his history folder on Cabot and Hudson.
I listened to James read to me and he wrote about Gutenberg in his history folder.


They were so good and with their spices would make a perfect fall treat.


Thursday
25

 We played a Bingo-type game to learn coin values by making a 5 x 5 square grid which we filled in each square with coin values (1, 5, 10, 25 and 50). Meanwhile I write various combinations values of the coins (such as 34, 2, 16) slips of paper. He chose a card and put that amount of counters (although real coins would have been better!) on the grid to equal the amount shown on the index card. To win, he must fill in as many squares as he could, and with each play he wanted to better his score. You could play it with two or more people, each with their own boards.


I peaked the interest of a reluctant learner while we learned about earthquakes using hard-boiled eggs.
 James practiced spelling.
Sam had a sick day (some sort of stomach bug.)

I made an tasty avocado vegetarian salad and sandwich.

and cut up a big bowl of peaches for a fresh peach pie.

 The Weekend
26-28
"What Are We Going To Do Today?"

Phineas and Ferb Day
began with these sandwiches for lunch, along with P & F fruit snacks and watching the show, of course.
 The hurricane hit our area on Saturday, knocking the electricity out for the weekend.
I hope the fact we have had an earthquake, a severe thunderstorm and hurricane in the same week isn't because we planned to study weather this year. : )

14 comments:

  1. Those cookies look delicious - I love molasses cookies. I love peaches too but can't eat them anymore since I've developed a pitted fruits allergy. :( I used to eat two or three at a time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want Molasses cookies.

    Did I already say that?? Hmmm perhaps I should make some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the spore prints. I want to do some. We saw some enormous mushrooms in my Daddy's yard the other day. The cookies look yummy. I just love the things you do Phyllis! Hope Steven is coming along with his PT. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a peach of a week!! You always have such variety. Love your pretty pastels, of course :) Man alive, that avocado sandwich looks delicious right now. Prayers for you all - for safety with the approaching storm. I pinned your earthquake experiment for later - so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the pond drawings! What a GREAT job they did on those! (How do you display and/or store all their wonderful artwork?) And of course I love those molasses cookies! ;)

    Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog! We haven't officially started homeschooling yet, but we're still learning all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the buildings that you made! I think my son would love them even more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cool things you've done all week! The Lego guys made me laugh. My guys can spend hours playing with "Lego dudes".

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a lot of great ideas! I loved the egg earthquake lesson from your previous post. It sounds like a lot of East coast families were studying earthquakes this week!
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome week with lots of different activities! The nature study, spore prints and chalk pastel work are really amazing.

    The earthquake experiment with hard boiled egg is such a good idea!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all of your activities. I love that kind of avocado salad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the chalk pastel pictures so pretty and love the playmobile play. The peach pie looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that Playmobil play and those chalk pastel drawings!
    So great to hear Steven won't be needing more surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've done the boiled egg/earth thing too, and it's a great visual.
    I love your cereal box playmobil village--how creative! I'll be stealing that idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That peach pie looks amazing! I've never seen one like that before! yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.