Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Aleida's Challenge: Leaving Proof

"Have you ever seen a photograph of your own mother and thought to yourself how fat she looked? Or how she wasn't wearing make-up? Or wasn't dressed in a glamorous outfit?" Of course my answer was no. She (Aleida) then responded with saying that she made it a goal to take a picture of herself with her children at least once every month. And that to use excuses about how we look, as women, is ridiculous, since our children will never care what we looked like, but only that we had physical evidence of the bond between mother and child. Aleida tragically and unexpectedly passed away in an auto accident in September of 2008, leaving 2 small children and a grieving husband. After she passed I thought of how those children must feel to have those precious photographs. I have made it my personal goal to follow her wise suggestion and I try to take photos of myself with my children....double chins, make-up free, bed-head and all. -written by Emilie Ahren about a conversation with Aleida Franklin
I invite Mothers everywhere to take Aleida's Challenge. To photograph yourself with your children each and every month. And to post them here so that we can see Aleida's legacy unfolding.
-from the Flicker Group, Aleida's Challenge
I found out about this challenge from Under the Sycamore via A Celebration of Our Journey and I was immediately moved by it. What a beautiful idea. So, here is my first contribution to Aleida's Challenge.
This photo was taken today after a long day of deep cleaning the house. I was tired, my hair was a mess -I was not ready for a photo but Quentin wanted to take one of me and James. The thought of Aleida's challenge was on my mind and so I said "yes" whereas I would normally have said, "no -you don't want one of me, let me take one of you and James."
Aleida's Challenge -April 2011

13 comments:

  1. love it! Your kids will cherish these shots of us someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Mama! Make those photographic memories..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Guess what! I can't tell that you are tired and have messy hair. All I can' see is a beautiful photo of a mother and her son...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If that's how you look after a day of deep cleaning - then you have no worries - it's a lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww....Perfect!!
    So glad you joined in the revolution to be present in your pictures with your family...
    I can see the beauty and happiness in both your faces...perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful moment! YOu need to frame that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome, and thanks for putting things in perspective. I have to have more of myself in the pictures this month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this. Thank you, Phyllis, for being such a beautiful example to us all. Two fabulous smiling faces :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to "see" you! I came back from a nearby coastal town with 192 photos, literally, of the birds and of the boys, tourists, and seals. Not one of me. I should have handed the camera over! I did take one with the boys yesterday, but yes, I am always looking at my jaw line and tummy roll. ;) Maybe if it is not in print it doesn't exist? I'll try to post one laster today and join in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that picture, how loving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the attributes of my children, that I cherish, is that they don't judge me the way I judge myself. They love my singing, think that all my drawings are the greatest and love being with me. I'm not much in the photos, but I have a feeling that is changing as they love using my camera. Your post has made me think about it more. I need to let go of my camera more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very thoughtful post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your a beautiful mom! I consider myself challenged. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.