Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

How Groundhog's Garden Grew

I picked up this most lovely book at the library a couple of weeks ago.We think of gardens at this time of year, and I thought the cover was so attractive, I put it with my stack of books to read to the boys.
I did not realize what a gem I had until I really looked at it.
Using animals for all the characters, it actually follows the cycle of plants and gardens throughout the year.
It has absolutely gorgeous pictures throughout, and has quite a bit of factual information weaved within the story. It even has beautiful and accurate illustrations around the borders.
Even the end papers have illustrations of the growth cycles
of different plants mentioned in the book.

The portion about planting potatoes was very timely as Katie and Alex had planted potatoes the day before.

This garden is their special project together.


Helping to take care of living things can be very helpful for autistic children.

Can you see how much of his attention she has as she shows him what to do. His hands are together in such an expression of excitement.

We also showed James the potato plants that are coming up from the potato sets that we planted last fall.

I dug around the roots of one to show him that small potatoes are forming under the plants. These will get larger over the summer and we will dig them up in the fall when the plants die back.

James, inspired by the book, also wanted to plant, so she gave him a pot and some garlic bulbs to plant.
After watering, he set them on our front step so we can watch them grow.
Perhaps How Groundhog's Garden Grew would inspire your little gardeners too.



See more ideas at Fantastic Fun and Learning.

12 comments:

  1. I'll look for it in the library. We just planted peas and bachelor buttons today. It's still too soon to plant tender things here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOHH! so great! even though the ones I teach are younger, I LOVE having good books to explain our lessons. we'll be learning about gardens in a few weeks, so i'll have to go get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great book! I'll have to see if my library has it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We plant many potatoes every year in my grandparent's garden. thanks for the great book suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks wonderful. What beautiful illustrations! I love how it inspires your kids in the garden. We are going to plant some veggies soon, so this looks to be a perfect book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious book! I'm so glad I've found this meme. We planted our 2nd veggie garden this year and the little ones have loved helping out. I'll have to check this out at the library for sure. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The illustrations in this book are so neat! I'm adding it to my library list. My daughters are watching their little seedlings grow in our kitchen, and soon it will be warm enough to plant them outside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That DOES look like a beautiful book! Everyone is really making me wish I had a patch of sunny yard to plant something in. Darn trees! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book is beautiful! Thanks for sharing all the great illustrations. I love the pictures of your garden, too, with the kids hard at work! So amazing to see things grow. Our spinach is looking pretty good right now. Still waiting on everything else! :) Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We LOVE this book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Popping back in to let you know I featured your post on my Summer Links-- http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer-links-week-eight.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does look like a wonderful book. Thank you for sharing! I'll have to see if our library has it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.