Starting the School Year with School Cones

One year they got these Playmobil Child's First Day at School figures in their school cones. I love the tiny little school cones they carry!

Several years ago I discovered "school cones," sometimes called "sugar bags or cones" because of the treats they usually contain. This tradition comes from Germany, where they are called Schultute, and are given to children on their first day of first grade. I discovered this idea from Cay at Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks, who says,
"These clown-hat cones are a fun way to present new school supplies to your child and are sure to be a hit...I made them out of poster board and wrapping paper. Very simple to make. My youngest also wore it as a dunce cap (her incentive, not mine)."

Instead of just first grade, I have found it a wonderful tradition for all my children every year! (Although once they hit high school age, they feel they are too old for them.)
The first year I made the cones out of wrapping paper, but they were a little fragile.
The next year I made them out of poster board, but they were not as pretty. They are filled with new school supplies, some candy and small toys or trinkets.
It is almost unbelievable how much of a tradition this has become.
They get so excited about them.


While many kids get their school supplies in the backpacks they need in order to carry them to school...it makes a wonderful back-to-school tradition for homeschoolers who don't need backpacks...for their school is at home.
School Cones 2010

1st grade School Cone, 2010


 One year I put tiny school cones with treats and small school supplies inside their school boxes.

Popular Posts