Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ................................................................................................................painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Snapshot Summary: January 1-7, 2016 {The Eighth through Twelfth Days of Christmas}

January 1-7, 2016

"Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year. Rice for riches and peas for peace."
- Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.
New Year's Day was quiet. We had a nice dinner and relaxed.

We went to Jo Jo's for lunch, our favorite diner/hot dog place.
We had all been under the weather during the week when James had his birthday and we were not able to go to the mall and Days of Knights as James wanted for his birthday, so we went the weekend following his birthday. Hope went with us.


Brenda showing Alex his Christmas present of an artist's journal.
On Sunday, we went to my sister-in-law's (Brenda's) for our Christmas with her.
It was a lovely day of celebrating, family and fun.
We also celebrated James' birthday (again) with Brenda.
Twelfth Night
source
On Twelfth Night, we had a little party with Hope and Eddie. We opened Christmas crackers, searched for the pickle ornament on the tree (and the one who found it -this year it was James -got a small gift), played games and ate a Christmas cake in which a bean was baked.
On Epiphany, we took down the Christmas decorations. 
Thursday night we had a movie night with our homeschool group. We watched The Maltese Falcon because it is mentioned in the play we are putting on in May.
Next week we will be starting back to our school work.


How was your week?

Join me at...

7 comments:

  1. We have a pickle on our tree, but no gift for the finder. Maybe, I will have to do that next year. It looks like a nice week. I hope you all feel completely better real soon.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been far too long since I visited, Phyllis. :-) It looks like you guys had a great time finishing your Christmas celebrations and I hope James has a happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that there is someone else who takes down the decorations on Epiphany! We do that, too ;-)

    Happy New Year -- thanks for being my long time blogging friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our week was lovely, but hard to get back into the swing of things.

    I guess Twelfth Night did pass already... January is flying by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious week you've had! I love, love, love the photo of father and son hugging! Is that Alex? Your boys are all growing so tall, I can't tell which one he is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is Alex. I love that picture, too. Yes, I know what you mean about my boys getting so tall. I can't believe that they all, except Quentin, are taller than me.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year! Looking forward to reading more about adventures this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.