Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

February 13-27, Our Homeschool Weekly Report, weeks 16 & 17

February 13-27
It has been a couple of weeks since I have posted my "weekly" reports again. The weeks just seem to be flying by and I took some time out of our schedule to visit with my sister-in-law as it is the one-year anniversary of my brother's passing away.
Let's see, what have we been up to?
We had a lovely Saint Valentine's Day...
and had a yummy breakfast for dinner.
 The kids went bowling with friends.
 We celebrated two birthdays of friends, Hope and Brenda. I had this yummy chocolate cake picked out to make only to discover my oven was dead, so Katie came to the rescue and made a stack of gfcf no-bake cookies to use instead of a birthday cake.

 We celebrated President's Day with a George Washington Cherry Pie.

weeks 16 & 17

Alex painted a Cityscape this time, using complementary colors to make the buildings pop out.
 This month we have been looking at what Asia was doing during the Middle Ages. We started with China...
  • Read a history spine, Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, 104-105Make notes of key words as you read. Write a few sentences about what you have learned in your history notebook. Another option is to use the Medieval History Portfolio, Homeschool Journey.
  • Color and label an appropriate map such as the one from History Odyssey, Pandia Press, Level 2 (5th-8th grade).
  • Mark significant dates on your timeline.
Quentin's history notebook page from Medieval Japan
 and then went on to Japan, with Kublai Khan as a bridge between the two. 

  • Read from The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia (pages 118-119). Make notes of key words as you read. 
  • Read "The Tales of Gengi." 
  • Write a few sentences about what you have learned in your history notebook.  Explain how the Fujiwara family came into power and how the family ruled through regents. What is the Tales of Gengi? Include Fujiwara Yoshifusa and Lady Murasaki Shikibu. Another option is to use the Medieval History Portfolio, Homeschool Journey.
  • Label an appropriate map such as the one with History Odyssey, Pandia Press, Level 2 (5th-8th grade).
  • Include appropriate dates on your timeline, including the beginning of this period, the peak of artistic achievement in Japan, the Gempei Civil War and Minamoto shoguns rise to power.
We also have been learning about heraldry.
We have also been eating Asian food. We had Chinese food while we studied the geography, culture and history of China and celebrated Chinese New Year.
We also studied the culture and geography of Laos and had a meal from this country.
We have been doing simple sentence diagramming in English and our usual math activities. We have been learning about muscles, the integumentary system and food webs in our science studies.

How was your week?
Join me at...
Don't forget the Memes here at All Things Beautiful:
  • History and Geography on Thursdays
  • Science on Sundays

19 comments:

  1. You always manage to get SO MUCH DONE during your weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to you.

    And Katie was quite smart to think of the GF cookie stack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie is clever anquite good in the kitchen.

      Delete
  3. The food looks so yummy. I like the idea of Cherry pie for George Washington's birthday. I think our favourite thing to celebrate his birthday was going to Valley Forge. This year it just slipped by without even a thought -- not something that is celebrated here. China has a special place in our lives having lived in Asia for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We plan to visit Valley Forge this summer.

      Delete
  4. I love to see Alex's art. He seems to enjoy it so much. The cherry pie looks delicious.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he does look forward to it.

      Delete
  5. Yay to Katie for coming to the rescue! As always, I love Alex's paintings! Have you ever thought about trying to sell them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking about making the pictures of the paintings into cardSource and perhaps sell them. He is pretty good at poetry, too.

      Delete
  6. I love everything you all do SO much. I have always told Keilee I would love to be neighbors to do all the fun things you manage to do!!! I'm so excited you are on Instagram!!! Search for me (Where the magnifying glass is in the bottom of instagram) I am HomeschoolGirls. I am private so I will verify you and follow you back. You will love Instagram. It is such a lovely community. My followers are all amazing Moms. Most of them Homeschool moms!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be neighbors with you, too! I may be a little slow at Instagram because we have a very busy schedule until June!

      Delete
    2. I would love to be neighbors with you, too! I may be a little slow at Instagram because we have a very busy schedule until June!

      Delete
  7. A one year anniversary. I'm so sorry. Those are so difficult aren't they? Hugs to you and your sister-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it has been a year. In fact I still can't believe it is true.

      Delete
    2. I can't believe it has been a year. In fact I still can't believe it is true.

      Delete
  8. Glad you had time in the middle of it all to be with your sister-in-law. Too bad about your oven - but great save Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a bittersweet couple of weeks, with lots of love from family and friends. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.