Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

December 26-January 1: Snapshot Summary

December 26-January 1: Snapshot Summary
We, like most people, are on holiday break from school.
We have been relaxed and enjoyed our gifts from Christmas, such as this beautiful African basket my sister-in-law gave me.

Between celebrations, we have been trying to eat healthy food.

But there has been many celebrations. Adding to the usual Christmas and New Year's, we also celebrated James' 14th Birthday.

 On New Year's Eve, we enjoyed a variety of appetizers for our New Year's Eve dinner.
For New Year's Eve I had all these things planned, but I didn't have on hand some of the things I needed for the activities in which I had thought that I had, and so they didn't pan out. It turns out that they didn't mind and had a wonderful time just playing games, munching and having fancy little drinks. They, once again, taught me that it is not things that matter, but relationships. We turned on the TV for the last few seconds of the year and counted them down together. It was lovely.



"Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year. Rice for riches and peas for peace."
- Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.


On New Year's Day, we had Hoppin' John Stuffed Poblano Peppers, which has become a New Year's Day tradition in our family. We also had pork barbecue, following a German tradition of eating pork for luck.

How has your week been?


Join me at...
Don't forget the Memes here at All Things Beautiful:
History and Geography on Thursdays
Science on Sundays

7 comments:

  1. It is good to just be together sometimes. I didn't realize pork was suppose to be lucky - interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we picked it up because of the German Pennsylvania Dutch community nearby.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great holiday full of lots of family fun! I love when a moment doesn't turn out just like you planned but it is fun and you realize its not about the stuff! All the food in this post made me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, we accidentally ate pork for luck. I didn't know that was a German tradition! I'm so behind on posts, and have all of my friend's posts to catch up on now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have never seen the new year through because Gary has to get up so early next day for work (he works new year and gets Christmas off). You all seemed like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely week full of celebrations.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday to James. Sounds like a lovely way to start the new year - remembering it's about being together rather than doing together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.