Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

123...I Can Paint! Tones and A Bird's-eye View

Every color can be lightened by mixing it with a little white paint or darkened by mixing it with a little black paint. The new colors are tones of the first color.

We filled three sections of his pallet with a little green paint. To one we added a bit of white paint and to another, we added black paint. We left the third section alone.
Just as we painted the blue paint to form the background for our ocean scene, we paint the background of this painting with the green paint. Let this dry before going on.
Paint a few squares on the background with the light green and a few squares with the dark green. Brown paint can become dirt roads. Let the painting dry before going on any further.
Once dry you can add the details of your bird's-eye view. You can use any colors you want for houses, cars and animals. Let this dry before adding the last touches.
sources and resources:
  • 123...I Can Paint, Irene Luxbacher

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! How fun! Reading this, I was thinking of my daughter, Sally, who is color blind. (Super rare in girls.) Her art teacher is focusing on shading this semester, but will be changing Sally's lessons up a bit. I'll have to let you know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love maps like this, they just intrigue me, I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great! And such a nice, simple & direct lesson on tones.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.