Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

November, Our Homeschool Weekly...er.. Monthly Report?

Snapshot Summary, November 7-27
We have been sick for most of the month of November, so I haven't been posting our Homeschool Weekly reports.
Before we got sick, the boys went roller skating...

and I celebrated my 53rd birthday.
Steven made me a chocolate pie instead of cake for my birthday. It was as delicious as it looks!
Thanksgiving was wonderful. It was just our family, but it was wonderfully warm and comforting.
  This is the cornucopia Katie made out of pizza dough.


For the days, off and on when we felt better, we learned about (and I will let the photos and links speak for themselves)...

Geography: Western India

We learned about the differences between the inner western India and the Diu island off the coast. We learned about some ingredients that we were previously unfamiliar with.

Geography: Nepal

We compared and contrasted India with the Indian subcontinent region of Nepal. We learned about Buddhism.

Geography: Sri Lanka

We learned about the sweet curries and coconut dishes of Sri Lanka. We learned about stilt fishermen and about some Buddhist traditions.

History/Literature: Beowulf

We read Beowulf and learned about the historical aspects of the story as well as the poetic devises of kennings, epithets and alliteration.

History: The Byzantine Empire

We compared and contrasted the Code of Justinian from the Roman laws. We looked at Byzantine art and made mosaics using mosaic tiles, tile adhesive and a old CD case.

Science: Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells

We learned about the differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells as an introduction to our unit on bacteria.

Hopefully I will resume next week with my weekly homeschool reports.

Join me at...
Don't forget the Memes here at All Things Beautiful:
  • History and Geography on Thursdays
  • Science on Sundays

7 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! I think I'll be requesting chocolate pie for my next birthday - that sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday and Thanksgiving! I like your new haircut. :-) You've done a lot, despite being ill. I feel like a slacker in comparison. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated, Phyllis! That pie looks delicious. Glad you had a good birthday!

    My compliments to Katie on that cornucopia. She did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! Happy birthday and Thanksgiving. I hope the illness has left your home for good.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday Phyllis!

    A chocolate pie sounds delicious.

    I'm glad everyone at your house is feeling better. We're going through a flu virus in our house right now, so I just spent the last day feeling very very sick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday!!! Wishing you abundant blessings throughout the year. That cornucopia....AMAZING!!! Tell Katie, "Way to go!" Praying that your December is a lot healthier than you November. Speaking of prayers, thank you for all of your prayers! They are so greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you guys have been sick so much this month, but you still packed in a lot of learning anyway! Happy belated birthday. The pie does look yummy. I used to love making mosaics when I was little!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.