Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, July 4-10, Summer Session, week 2

July 4-10
Summer Fun

4thofJuly
We had a wonderful Independence Day, filled with grilling, ice cream, flags and fireworks over the Sassafras River.

 The boys have been enjoying summer afternoons at the beach.

We went to a community pool with a dear friend of mine, Denise and her lovely family.

In The Kitchen

We have been enjoying lots of great summer foods this week. We have enjoyed Tuna, Cucumber and Black-eyed Pea Salad, Coconut Rice with Red Beans, Fruity Salad, Shrimp Salad Bowl, Crockpot Jambalaya with Chili-Cheese Cornbread, Black Bean and Corn Salad, Indian Lentils and Rice and Apple, Grape and Celery Salad; all recipes from Build-a-Menu (my review here).
I have also enjoyed the fellowship and sharing over at Angelicscaliwags on Wibbly Wobbly Weight Loss. I have written posts on what I have learned through my research on healthy eating: All Carbohydrates Are Not The Same and The Power of Proteins. At my doctor's check-up this week, she let me know that I had lost 20 pounds since my last visit, which makes a nearly 30 pound loss total.

summer-learning
week 2

Science

Biology

Botany: Leaves and the Mint Family

As the first lesson in our summer botany study, we learned about the mint family and about the terms used to identify leaves.

Chemistry

Lesson 1: Matter

We reviewed and explored matter including concepts such as mass, weight, volume, density, buoyancy and the qualities of matter.

Astronomy

The Summer Constellations: Lyra

source
This week we focused on the constellation Lyra from the Summer Triangle we found last week. To find Lyra, look for Vega, the brightest star in the constellation. Lyra looks like a small, lopsided square, with Vega just beside one of the corners of the square.
source
The legend of Lyra tells the story of Orpheus, who was given a harp by the god Apollo. Orpheus married the lovely maiden Eurydice, but after their wedding, she was bitten by a snake and died. Orpheus was so stricken with grief that he journeyed to the underworld to win her return. His music not only gained him entry to Hades, it caused Pluto, the god of the underworld, to soften his heart and grant Orpheus' wish, but there was one condition -Eurydice had follow Orpheus, who could not look back until both had gained the upper world. Before Eurydice could take the final steps into the light, Orpheus turned to gaze upon her and she vanished. Once Orpheus died, the Muses buried him, and Apollo placed his magical harp in the sky -- as Lyra.

Geography and Culture

Africa

The Horn of Africa and The Coffee Ceremony

We had our version of an Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony in conjunction with learning about the horn of Africa.

Latin Roots

The Latin roots we learned this week were Bonus which means good, Sol which means sun, Luna which means moon, Trans which means across, and Terra which means earth or land.

12 comments:

  1. Oooohhhhh, I love reading about the stories behind the constellations, that was actually one of the ideas I had for the coming year. Find a good book on the constellations and read the stories to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually read all the stories when we studied Ancient Greece, but we only looked at the contellations in books. It is neat now to try and find them in the sky.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely photo of you and your beloved! :)
    Glad you all had such a fun Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy looking at all of your pictures and always learn something to share with my crew after reading your posts. I too am enjoying the fellowship at Angelicscaliwags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love the photo of you and your husband. You ought to get that blown up and put up on the living room wall! You both look gorgeous together.
    Well done x 100 for losing so much weight. You must feel tremendous! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved that you guys have been trying to find constellations. That's a very cool pastime! :-) Congrats on the weight loss. I'm about convinced that I'm going to have to join in on Claire's challenge because my doctor would like for me to pay more attention to that area :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful week. I love the picture of you and your one and only. What fun weeks you all have.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phyllis I have missed your beautiful weeks. I simply love how you homeschool your kids. You always have so much fun. Love the beach and the pool pictures and love seeing the picture of you and your hubby. Also congrats on the weight loss and healthier eating!! That is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the picture of you and your love too! You have a beautiful family. You always come up with the neatest activities. The beach looks fun. Bethany hss refused to go to her believed little beach ever since the taking her shorts off incident. I guess it's probably a good thing, but I kind of miss going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful week! I love the picture of you and Steven

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all your pics, and especially that gorgeous one of you and Steven, too.

    We learned about Ethiopia recently as well, partly because my brother-in-law is a British diplomat who has recently been posted there. I'd had no idea it was the heart of the first Christian empire. Or that it was the only country to retain its independence in the "Scramble for Africa".

    We are listening to a very funny book at the moment called "Terra". :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went to Ocean City last summer, we were sitting at a restaurant and we overheard the people at the next table who were speaking a very beautiful language that was not familiar to me. When we were leaving the restaurant and passed by their table, they smiled at us, so it made me brave enough to ask them what language they were speaking (I knew that they spoke English as well because I heard them talking to the waitress). It turns out it was Ethiopian. It is a very melodic language.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.