Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, May 30-June 5, week 34

 May 30-June 5
This was another busy week.
Hot Fudge Sundae Ice Cream Cake
Sam turned 17.

Our homeschool group had an end-of-the-year picnic.
Quentin and I were fitted for new glasses.
The kids went bowling with friends.
Steven and Katie went to the dentist.
week 34

I am busy gathering and making decisions on what we will be studying and what materials we will use next year. So far, I have decided on our math, English (except Sam's) and science texts and course of study.

English

Grammar Review

  1. Name all the parts of speech in the following paragraph. (Paragraph taken from their history or science texts.)
  2. Choose the correct verb forms in the following sentences...(Sentences taken from their history or science texts.)

History

Roman Catapults

Ancient Rome

When?

We added events to our timeline.

Diocletian reorganizes Empire
Constantine wins Battle of Milvian Bridge
Edict of Milan
Last Emperor, Romulus Augustulus; End of the Roman Empire in the West


Who?

We read about who was important during this time. We read mainly from Famous Men of Rome. They made a notebook page, writing down what they had learned.


Trajan
Marcus Aurelius
Diocletian
Constantine the Great

Where?

We added place names to our map.

Alexandria
Constantinople
Athens

What?
The Roman Soldier

We focused on the soldier, the armor he wore and weapons. (I will be posting pictures soon.) We made a catapult last week.

Latin Roots

This week we learned numbers in Latin - (1) Unus, (2) Duo, (3) Tres, (4) Quattuor and (5) Quinque.

Geography

We focused on the Horn of Africa. We will be working on this area for a few weeks.


Garden Update

 Our summer projects are starting to mix with the finishing up of our school year's work.
Katie's garden is doing quite nicely...
and my lettuce garden is thriving. It loves the mostly shade of the front yard.



In the Kitchen
This week we are trying something new. The dishes marked in red type are coming from a new website, Build a Menu. (I will be reviewing it in the future.)
Friday
Lunch: Fish Sandwiches, Sweet Potato Fries, Blueberry Salad
Dinner: Cuban Style Pork Chops, Spanish Rice, Sweet and Spicy Cucumbers

Saturday
Dinner: Kielbasa with Onions, Sweet Peppers and Brussels Sprouts, Edamame Rice Salad, Kale and Cabbage Stirfry

Sunday
Lunch: Steak 'ems, Chips, Edamame Caprice Salad
Dinner: Pasties, Tuscan Bean Salad

Monday
Dinner: Baked Potato Bar, Greek-style, Steamed Kale


Join me at...

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Sam!! I love all your pictures as usual. I love all the plans so far for next year. I would love planning more if I had money to buy things. I have to wait to see what the future holds but it is still fun to wish. Katie's garden looks amazing!!! Happy weekend Phyllis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great birthday cake. it looks so good! Happy birthday. I love the lettuce garden in the shade.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Sam!
    I look forward to your review of the site, I'm always looking for new places to find recipes.
    I'm so jealous of your garden, I'm just not a gardener, I want to pretend I'm one, but I'm not, no matter how much I try I'm not. They just turn brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to Sam! It looks like you guys enjoyed some time outdoors. Always a hit in my book! We are needing to make dentist appointments too! Not the best activity for the summer, but necessary. Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Sam!
    Your garden is looking fabulous! We did some much needed work in our this week, but it was more of the tidying up type rather than the fun growing type!
    I look forward to your review. I've heard good things about build a menu so I'll be interested in what you think.
    Have a lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both of those Roman soldiers! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely photos of wonderful learning. I always feel so inspired after visiting you, Phyllis. Thank you for the close up on the catapult. I've been wanting to make those with my two for ages and that one looks very doable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute Roman soldier model!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.