My younger boys are reaching that age in which they are beginning to be too old for some of the things I had planned to do with them. With this thought in mind, I am working on a "So what are we going to do today?" list to give us something fun to do every day of summer vacation, with some extras to give us some choices. For some of these things, it might be my last chance! I will keep adding to the list as I come up with new ideas, so check back from time to time.
- Create a family adventure journal to record the summer
- Do some chalk pastels projects
Have a 17th birthday party for Sam
- Have a sleepover on the trampoline
- Make watermelon sorbets in lime shells
- Go roller-skating
- Go to the Farmer's market
- Have a first day of summer party
- Make sunprints
- Write messages in note cards stick them in balloons and send them off
- Play with Zentangles
- Go to the Ocean beach
- Send 13 oz. or less mail
- Go to the water park
- Go fishing
- Make/Go on a Scavenger hunt
Go to Sonic for half-priced shakes Go stargazing or watch a meteor shower...if there is one this summer.
- Give each child a disposable camera and a blank book and tell them to document their life for a week..or two
- Practice wood carving
- Make a kaleidoscope
- Make Tie dye T-shirts
- Play games in the backyard
- Make an art journal
- Play volleyball at the beach
- Make bottlecap necklaces
- Have a pizza party with a Make-Your-Own Pizza bar and a Make-Your-Own Fruit Pizza bar for dessert
Go to a museum (Air Mobility Command Museum)
- Play with balloons
- Go to a National park...Jr. Ranger program?
- Crack marbles in the oven, and perhaps make jewelry out of them
Go to the zoo (Plumpton Park Zoo)
- Make hemp cord bracelets
- Have a picnic on the beach
Have a 20th birthday party for Alex
- Fly in a plane with Young Eagles
- Drive-in movie or Movie night
- Go camping
- Preserve a spider web
- Make an origami boat
- Make bread clay
- Go to China town or Little Italy?
- Have a bonfire
- Send a message in a bottle
- Light a dandelion on fire
- Take photos from a photo booth
- Make indestructible bubbles
- Go on a biking trail
- Make a kite
- Fly a kite
- Teach Sam and Katie how to drive
- Go to a restaurant with a group of friends
- Go Puddle jumping
Make homemade ice cream
- Find a four leaf clover
- Sleep under the stars
- Buy an underwater camera and take photos
- Build sandcastles
- Take easels down to the beach and paint
- Make freezer paper stencils
- Make a leaf bowl
- Make walking sticks
- Make tin box scene magnets for the fridge from a mint's tin
- Make homemade cookies using a new recipe
- Have a cookies and milk bar with pink milk, banana milk, chocolate milk, vanilla milk....
- Glo-stick hide and seek
- Go on nature walks
- Make tin can lanterns
- Make a beachy picture frame
- Make a gift for friends
- Make balloon and sand juggling balls
- Play games at the beach
- Make macrame candle holders and hang them. Light them at night.
- Transfer pictures to tiles
- Have a cake decorating party
- Make Scandinavian Shaved Wood Ornaments for Christmas in July
- Have a waffle bar
- Make beaded spiders
- Make handmade soap with shells, etc. in them
- Make beach sand candles
- Make shell prints
- Create a backyard sign of places we've traveled to.
- Camp in a yurt
- Make floating candles
- Make glue batik
- Go letterboxing
- Make our own personalized mugs with Sharpies
- Take a moonlit walk in PJ's
Have a backyard campout
- Doodle on rocks
- Do pendulum painting
- Paint with condensed milk
Put in and attend to a vegetable garden
- Have a garden party...eat dinner outside
- Make a firepit
- Make an outdoors pulley
- Make a bamboo wind chime
- Make a waterwall
- Make a pond in a barrel
- Get snowcones from an ice cream truck at the beach
- Make a sand pile and a rock pile in the backyard
- Spray Garden stones with glow in the dark paint so that they will glow at night
- Make a backyard chalkboard
- Start a collection and keep it all summer
Play with ice when it is hot
- Raise silkworms
- Let paper lanterns go
- Take a summer park tour of all the parks in the area and have popcorn in the park one day and do science experiments at the park another day. Leave coins on the playground for children to find after we are gone.
- Make a bean teepee or a sunflower house
- Play with sidewalk chalk
Go strawberry picking Celebrate James 13 1/2 birthday
- Paint with marbles
- Go to a pet shop just for fun
- Make a tin can howler
- Make a fort in the woods or backyard
- Go to a Renaissance Fair
- Go to a Western Themed park
- Have a tea time taste test
- Play games with rocks...how many can we come up with?
- Make a hovercraft
- Learn screenprinting
- Make floating boat luminaries to float at night
- Make wire sculptures
- Get a dog
Eat at a real diner.
- Make Alcohol Ink Drink Coasters
- Make a watermelon print summer table cloth.
- Make shrinky-dink rings
- Do textured coloring
- Make plaster dipped flowers
- Make lavender wands
- Make beach houses with shell roofs
- Make an embroidered painting
- Eat Popsicles IN the swimming pool.
- Become acquainted with three local birds.
- Go on an “Early Bird” adventure. Get up at the crack of dawn, stay dressed in PJs for a sunrise picnic breakfast and walk on the beach.
- Go on one-on-one adventures with each child. Have them pick the destination.
- Catch frogs.
- How many different natural places can we go this summer? Streams, fields, mountains, ponds....