Snapshot Summary, May 8-15 Mom's Retreat

May 8-15 
Ever since my brother passed away, I have been concerned about my sister-in-law, who was so close to my brother. They had the best marriage of anyone I have ever seen, (with the exception of Steven and I, of course.) We had decided back in February that once things settled down for her, that I would come and stay with her for a few days. This week was the week we finally decided upon.
Day 1: Brownie's Beach
For my first day at Brenda's we went to the beach that you can see from her house. It has been re-named (Bayfront Park), but it used to be called Brownie's Beach and since that is what we called it for so many years, that is what we still call it. We walked along the little beach and followed the mile-long trail. At one point along the trail, we suddenly heard the most beautiful windchimes. It was one of those special moments.


Day 2: Rosehaven and North Beach
We had a picnic lunch at Rosehaven Park, a favorite place of Phil's to have picnics. For dinner we went to Mexico, a Mexican restaurant in North Beach, then we went to the Farmer's Market, which had a car show.

Days 3 & 4: Mother's Day weekend
Brenda made me a wonderful seafood dinner for Mother's Day of Rockfish, Crabcake, Shrimp, cole slaw, tomatoes and sweet potato fries. I opened a homemade Mother's Day card Quentin made and packed in my luggage. Brenda read Brighty of Grand Canyon, a favorite book of Phil's childhood that we found at a Thrift store together. The rest are views from Brenda's deck.


Day 5: Home Again, Home Again, Jiggy-Jig
Brenda made me a wonderful breakfast of fresh blueberry pancakes (with maple syrup and butter!) and bacon which we enjoyed on her deck. The family came to pick me up and we had a picnic dinner and a trip to North Beach and a stop at the candy shop.

Meanwhile, back at the house...

they enlarged Katie's raised bed cinderblock garden, doubling it's size. Steven also thoroughly cleaned my kitchen so I would come home to a beautiful kitchen.
When I got back, we jumped right into rehearsal...the last one until the performance.

Join me at...

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful trip and you got some fabulous photos of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely time you had in such a beautiful place! I can't imagine how hard it must be to lose a brother and husband. I'll continue to be praying! Tell all your actors to "break a leg" for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful that you were able to spend some time with your sister-in-law. It sounds that you both really took advantage of this opportunity to relax and connect. Love the costumes for the performance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so pleased you managed to get some time away to be with your sister in law. It sounds like it was very cathartic for both of you and will hopefully ease the grief you both feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely get away!! It looks like your wonderful family kept productive while you were away too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.