Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, May 23-29, week 33

May 23-29
We had another busy week this week. On Memorial Day weekend, we celebrated Quentin's 10th birthday with a requested Star Trek TOS Mystery Dinner party...not your usual request from a ten-year old, and that is what makes it so Quentin, for he is not your typical ten-year old! For several years now, he has given me a challenge of topics for me to fulfill for his birthday parties (check out his 9th birthday Spy party). He has me almost wishing he'd pick a topic I could just run to the party store and pick up what they have in that topic and be done with it. Almost. The other side of me is thrilled that he picks such interesting themes.
On Memorial Day we had a picnic dinner of fried chicken, potato salad, cole slaw and more...and then we used my Mother's Day present for the first time...a firepit, by making S'mores. I got chocolate graham crackers and dark chocolate this time...and oh, they were so good! I know we are going to have many more good memories around the fire pit this summer.
We went for our annual Strawberry picking tradition.
We made homemade strawberry ice cream out of some of them.

week 33
Math

Roman Numerals


English

Grammar: The Compound Sentence

This week we worked on compound sentences and the punctuation related to them. In addition to the simple sentence with one subject or group of subjects and one predicate or group corresponding predicates, there is also the compound sentence. A compound sentence is made up of two or more simple sentences, joined by a coordinate conjunction (joining word) or a semicolon (;). A conjunction is another important part of speech. It connects words or groups of words and joins them together. The most common coordinate conjunctions are:
  • and
  • but
  • or
  • nor
Simple sentences joined to form compound sentences are called independent clauses. A clause is a group of words with subjects and predicate; they are independent because they are complete in themselves.
A clause must have a subject and a predicate. A phrase, on the other-hand, is a group of words without a subject or predicate.
Notice that if there is a conjunction between the simple sentences or clauses, you must use a comma at the end of the first clause, before the conjunction. If there is no conjunction, a semicolon must be used to separate the clauses.

History

Ancient Rome: The Empire, part I

When?

We added events to our timeline:
Diocletian reorganizes Empire
Constantine wins Battle of Milvian Bridge
Edict of Milan
Last Emperor, Romulus Augustulus; End of the Roman Empire in the West


Who?

We read about who was important during this time. We read mainly from Famous Men of Rome. They made a notebook page, writing down what they had learned.
Trajan
Marcus Aurelius
Diocletian
Constantine the Great

Where?

We added place names to our map:
Alexandria
Constantinople
Athens

Roman Catapult Models
What?

We focused on the soldier, the armor he wore and weapons. We made a catapult and did some experimenting with them (counts for science, right?)

Latin Roots

In our Latin roots study we learned some parts of the body (corpus, corporis) words: caput, capitis which means head; manus which means hand; pes, pedis which means foot; bracchium which means arm; dens, dentis which means tooth and Corpus, Corporis which means body. Can you see where we get some of our words from?
On The Menu
Saturday
Lunch: Tostadas 

Sunday
Dinner: Shrimp and Cheesy Grits, (sausage for GFCF kids), Lemon Broccoli

Monday
Lunch: at End of Year Picnic
Dinner: Tacos

Tuesday
Dinner: Tortillini in Lemon-Ricotta Sauce, Steaks (for GFCF kids), Garlicy Kale

Wednesday
Lunch: at Bowling Alley
Dinner: Leftovers

Thursday
Lunch: Pizza, salad

Friday
Lunch: Tuscan Bean Soup with KaleTuna Salad Sandwiches
Dinner: Louisiana Red Beans and Rice, Kale Salad

Saturday
Lunch: Pasta Salad


14 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully full week as always! Do you know, I have never tasted a smore? I had wondered what they were and now I know! I shall have to hunt down the ingredients to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I understand it, it is a uniquely American thing. It is difficult to find graham crackers in Europe, I believe. I would be delighted to send you a package of a S'mores making kit.

      Delete
  2. Yes - a fire pit sounds like a happy summer in the making :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weekly report looks like our monthly report. You've accomplished so much! I love the who, where, what synopsis. May need to borrow that! And the recipes for this week....YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was that strawberry lemonade I spied in those glasses? We just made some this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always it amazes me how much you get done!! I love Quentin's birthday party theme. What an a awesome boy he is! I love the fire-pit and the strawberry picking! Always you have such beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a fun week of homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a super yummy s'more. I love s'mores.
    I love the picture of one of your boys and the sheep (can't quite tell who from the picture).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to Quentin! It looks like you guys had your own strawberry festival too! I'm sure you guys will put the fire pit to good use! I'm loving that catapult and your menus sound yummy and very healthy which is not always an easy feat to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must be tired of hearing this, but what an amazing week (yet another one!) You put so much creativity into your schooling and family time - what wonderful experiences and memories your children have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still say I would love to come be one of your students.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - I don't think I realized Quentin's birthday was so close to Kira's! She turned ten that week as well. Love the photo with the sheep. And wow - we won't be seeing strawberries for awhile yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We also worked on compound sentences a couple of weeks ago! LOL It's part of the unit study we're doing on "Poppy"....I just wanted to take a second and comment on how much I loved the idea of a Star Trek mystery dinner party. I tried to post on it when you first posted the party post, but my phone was being stubborn and wouldn't let me comment that day :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.