Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, February 21-27, week 22


These last two weeks have been some of the toughest weeks of my life, but we got through it together. As I promised last week, I am beginning to see beyond the gray mist that descended upon me with the passing of my oldest brother. The beautiful moments of my life are sparkling through and have given me strength.
Saint Valentine's Day Tea from last week, some of the beauty in my life just prior to my brother's death.

One beautiful piece was the Eulogy given at my brother's memorial service. It was written by his wife, Brenda, and I will share it with you now.
Phil likened his path in life to a quote from "The Road Less Traveled" by poet Robert Frost...

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

Yes, Phil liked to live a simple life and focus on things that really mattered. He did not like all the traditions and rituals associated with funerals, and so today we are gathering informally, just the way he would have wanted it, to share memories of him.

Phil was a very sensitive and caring man. His heart was very big. At the same time, he was always what I called "a real man." No one controlled him or could force him into doing anything he felt was not right. His love and tenderness for me was what will keep me going the rest of my life. We had a uniquely strong loving bond that, even now, is not broken and never will be.

Phil was an amateur philosopher and always looked for the deeper meaning in things. He loved good and interesting conversations about deep subjects, and was always an original thinker. His creativity expressed itself in ways like drawing his own little cartoons, his making up his own lyrics to popular songs and singing them, and his sense of humor.

Although this is a very hard sad time for us, Phil always said to "look at the half full glass." That half-full glass contains whatever Phil, that very special man, brought to your life. He would have made every effort to comfort and cheer us, so let us now do the same for each other by sharing fellowship and a bite to eat.

This tea came in the mail from Valerie at the perfect time.

I, too have been comforted so much by the outpouring of kindness and love shown to be by both my face-to-face friends and my lovely on-line blogging friends. Each gesture comfort or gift of kind words have given me pieces to hold on to in making my way back from despair. Thank you.
A bit of cheer sent to me from my local homeschool group.
week 22
We read and learned about the Myceneans and the Trojan War...
and Quentin made this Mycenean Acropolis entirely by himself.

Greek Language
The boys have continued their study of the Greek Alphabet with the next six letters H-M. They also learned the Greek root words tropos, which means turning, philia, which means love or friendship, phobos, which means fear and syn, which means with or together.

Famous Men of Greece and Greek Myths
We have read about some of the famous men of Greece: Agamemnon, Achilles, and The Adventures of Odysseus. We also read the myths Zeus and his family and about some of the minor gods, including the stories of Pandora and Deucalion.

Sam is finishing up reading The Epic of Gilgamesh, researched and wrote an essay which defined the characteristics which qualify a story to be categorized as an “epic” and supporting the classification of the Gilgamesh poems in the epic genre. He also wrote about how the actions and experiences of Gilgamesh represent the belief systems of the entire culture based on your knowledge of the religious ideologies of the Ancient Sumerians.


Geography
North Central Africa
Since we had just finished our thorough study of Northern Africa and Ancient Egypt, we went on to learn about North Central Africa,  where the Blue and White Nile Rivers join to form the Great Nile River.


How to diagram the direct object
source
English
The younger boys learned about Direct Objects, in which we also reviewed transitive verbs. They located the Direct Objects in sentences in their history and science texts, and diagrammed them. 

photo from March 2012
Math
They have been working on fractions -comparing fractions, fractions word problems, multiplication of fractions and finding the area of a triangle.(1/2b x h). We played Fraction Jugglers.

32 comments:

  1. Your week looks wonderful Phyllis. And your brother sounds like he was such an amazing man. What a beautiful Eulogy. I pray for happy moments that grow into more and more happy moments. You are in our prayers friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was an amazing man. I keep thinking i will be seeing him next month, and then remembering that I won't. Thank you for your prayers. (We have you guys in our prayers, too.)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful eulogy....thank you for sharing Phyllis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was beautiful and that people who didn't know him even would enjoy hearing it. Thank you for telling me you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. It looks like a lovely week, Phyllis. I'm continuing to pray for the healing of your heart as you go through your brother's passing. I know for sure that when the people we love the most pass on, we see our whole world through a gray fog for quite some time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I have never really had grief before. I now know what it is like.

      Delete
  4. How did I miss last week's post? I am so sorry for your loss, Phyllis! I can't begin to imagine what that must be like for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been the hardest, but I will come through and see rainbows again.

      Delete
  5. Still praying - and thinking of you often. It was a very touching eulogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is the kind thoughts, words and prayers from all of my friends that has helped me to see the light at the end of the dark tunnel.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful eulogy for him, the memorial service sounded lovely, just the sort of way to say good-bye to a brother.
    Your tea pot is lovely by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I use that tea pot whenever I only want one or two cups of tea.
      Yes, it was a lovely service.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. A beautiful eulogy. The Robert Frost quote is one of my very favorites. I will keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a strange thing, but my brother and I talked about just this same thing not less than a couple of months ago...how we share the optimist view on life.

      Delete
  8. I continue to pray for your family as well as you, friend. One step at a time. No one grieves the same way; there is no right or wrong way either. That was a beautiful eulogy. Just beautiful. She makes him alive for your bloggy friends through the words she wrote. Thank you for sharing the memories of your brother! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wisdom about grief. I know that sometimes I feel like I should be getting over it by now, but sometimes I just feel I can't....not yet anyway. Thank you for saying that there is no right or wrong way to grieve.

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss. Grief can be a long tentacled thing, showing up in the strangest places, and appearing to never plan on loosing its grip. I pray the sunshine will eventually shine upon you. Thankfully, you have such great memories of him!!

    We used those books in our Ancient Studies as well. That's a great Acropolis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. It is a long tentacled thing and it does show up in the strangest places. You are so right about grief. Thank you for your kind words and prayers.

      Delete
  10. {Hugs} and prayers still coming your way. The tea pot is adorable!! The Valentine's tea looked so yummy, too. Praying you have a good week this coming one as you adjust to the new 'normal' :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Tea times are very special times at our house. They are always fun and/or comforting.

      Delete
  11. I am sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. Praying for your family at this time. The Fraction Juggles looks like a fun game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, Fraction Jugglers is a set of all sorts games, covered all the manipulations of fractions.

      Delete
  12. An amazing week. Praying that you continue to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, Laurie.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing some of the beauty that your brother has left behind on this Earth in the hearts of his loved ones. You continue to be in my prayers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is well-put. I am glad that you could get a glimpse of him this way. Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  14. I'm so pleased you are beginning to find your way out of the fog. The eulogy was very special and, I'm sure, gave strength to a great many people who were present to hear it.
    We pray for you and another bloggy friend who is going through a terrible time at the moment, each day.
    And I too love your tea pot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am beginning to see beautiful things again. The eulogy was special. I am glad that you enjoyed it as well. Thank you...it is not a teapot I use often, so it is a special treat to use it.

      Delete
  15. Your brother sounds like he was a remarkable and unique man. I'm sure he will be missed by many. I'm so sorry he had to leave this earth so young. You are remarkable too, Phyllis. True to form you accomplish so much despite your heartache. I'll be praying still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was. Yes, he will. Yes, I did not have my fill of him yet. You know how it is, sometimes work makes the sadness easier. Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  16. Prayers for you and your family. A beautiful quote and reflections you shared about your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.