Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Snapshot Summary, December 27- January 2: The Twelve Days of Christmas

December 27- January 2

On the fourth day of Christmas thirteen years ago, I got the best Christmas present ever.
 For my sweet son, James' birthday this year, we went to a "ice" skating rink (it is really made of plastic, but you can ice skate on it)...
and then back to our local pizza place for pizza and cake.
Happy 13th Birthday!
{Yes, now I have three teenage boys in the house!)



New Year's Eve Celebrations
I made up balloons ahead of time with slips of paper in them that tell what the next activity was to be and the time written on the outside of the balloon. When the time came, someone popped the balloon and read what was on the slip of paper inside.
We started the evening with a dinner of appetizers and snack foods.
We played games.

We had sherbet and Sprite "Sherbet Champagne."
They popped Snaps on the porch.
We had Hot Spiced Cider.
This "snow" is fascinating. It only takes two ingredients -a large box of baking soda and a can of shaving cream -and it is even cold!
The boys made "snow."
We had bubbling juice.
We had Twelve grapes (one for each month of the year), a Spanish tradition.
We snapped Poppers to celebrate midnight. The little boys stayed up until midnight for the first time this year.
Mahjong, Cosmic Encounters, Jenga
New Year's Day, 2014
We got many games for Christmas so for the past few days we have been playing many games and having much fun.
We had Hoppin' John Stuffed Poblano Peppers and Ham and Potatoes au Gratin Casserole for our New Year's Day dinner.


"Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year. Rice for riches and peas for peace."
- Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.

On Thursday, we took Alex to a doctor's appointment and we decided to take Alex off the Abilify, which did not seem to be doing anything for him (and was very expensive) and to try something for his ADHD symptoms, Vyvanse. The only problem with this is that if it doesn't help his hyper tendencies, it will make them worse! If that is the case, we will take him off it immediately. It is our last chance for a medication that can help this behavior. The next step would be sedation. Keep us in your prayers.

sources:

11 comments:

  1. We got lots of games for Christmas too. What a great New Year's eve. I love the grapes idea. What are the names of the games.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahjong, Cosmic Encounters and Jenga. That is only part of the games we got/played.

      Delete
  2. You are most certainly in our prayers. I love that snow - must try it with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to James and a Happy New Year to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to James. I always love visiting here and seeing all the fun you have. Joy is the word that describes your pictures to me. Your family seems full of joy. I love the things you did for New Year's Eve and Day. So fun. Alex will be in our prayers Phyllis. Thank you for always commenting on my posts. Your comments are always so dear to me and you say the sweetest things. Keilee and I both appreciate your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to James! You guys always think of the greatest ideas for making days special! I'll be praying for Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be praying for Alex that the medication works, that's very scary.

    Happy birthday to James! That "ice skating" rink looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful birthday post to James!
    I need to find that game. Looks like so much fun.
    About crocheting....I took up crocheting 9 years ago when my husband had extended hospital stays followed by lots of time at PT and other doctor appointments. I needed something to do with my hands! I made lots of mistakes and still do but its okay because crocheting is easy to rip out and begin again. Its not something I would have done when the kids were small. My daughters learned the basics from me and are so much better at it than I am . Never too late to start something new!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday James! What a wonderful week filled with happiness and smiles.
    I'll be praying for Alex. Although I don't have a hyperactivity disorder I do have a brain that NEVER switches off (hence the awful insomnia) so I do understand some of the frustrations of it. He is so blessed to have you as his mummy. I really hope the meds bring him some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. 3 teenage boys! You are blessed with a wonderful family. I'm always amazed by how much fun you are having. As for Alex's medical questions...perhaps this site can help. It's called Cure Together. http://curetogether.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://curetogether.com/blog/category/research-findings/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.