Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Our Homeschool Weeky Report, October 25-31, week 9

Monday started off with an incident that colored the rest of the week for us. James had a grand mal seizure. Although seizures run in the family (Katie has epilepsy and Sam has had absence seizures), James has never had any indication of seizure activity before. Looking back on it, however, I am beginning to wonder if seizure activity might be a cause for learning disabilities which have led to his reading difficulties. He is fine now, and we have an appointment at DuPont Children's Hospital next month. Sam and Quentin had never seen a seizure before and were quite traumatized by it. I have to admit, even though I have seen them several times, it never loses its traumatic quality.

October 25-31
week 9

Despite all of this, we did get some school work completed. 

notebooking pages from Discover Africa
Alex studied Lesotho as part of his Southern Africa study.
Quentin's History Notebook page, age 9
We learned about the Newcomers to the Mesopotamian area
"The Assyrian kings were great warriors and led their armies onto the battlefield."
Alex's History Notebook page, age 19, special needs
History Portfolio
We learned about the Hittites and the Assyrians...
James' History Notebook page, age 12
History Portfolio
and the boys completed a comparison/contrast study of two relief sculptures, one Hittite and one Assyrian.
Quentin's History Notebook page, age 9
History Portfolio

We went over the Israelites entering Canaan and Jericho.
In English, we went over transitive and intransitive verbs. The copied their definitions in their English journals and picked out sentences from their history book that illustrated these two types of verb constructions.
We read The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.
This was a review week for Math for Quentin and for James, we added subtraction of negative numbers to his Postman Games.

Postman Games, part II: Subtraction of Signed Numbers

Remember how we talked about the fact that Sam, the postman is not too good at delivering the mail, and sometimes he comes back and takes the mail away again. We used cards again to play a game, this time using subtraction of positive and negative numbers. He wrote them down again in his math journal, paying particular attention to the signs. The four possibilities were:
  1. The mail carrier brings a check for ___, and takes away a check for ___.
  2. The mail carrier brings a check for ___, and takes away a bill for___.
  3. The mail carrier brings a bill for ___, and takes away a check for ___. 
  4. The mail carrier brings a bill for ___, and takes away a bill for ___.


I would like to introduce you to the latest member of our family, Mr. Bones.
Seriously, my bone-loving boy is so attached to this model.

Quentin in his nature study class.

James and Quentin enjoyed their drama, art and nature study classes. In drama, we went over their scripts, and talked about props and costumes.

About the House

Katie picked the last of her tomatoes. Most were green.
She put them in a paper bag with an apple to ripen them. If that doesn't work, we will make fried green tomatoes.
James made butterscotch-oatmeal cookies.

Celebrating

Jack o' Lantern carving

Mr Hyde and Dracula accompanied by a Gypsy go Trick or Treating

In The Kitchen

ranch style beans
Ranch Style Beans from The Homesick Texan
We used the last of our Ranch Beans in Wendy's-style Chili.

Ricotta Pie
Ricotta Pie from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice
We had Ricotta Pie and loved it. It is a little like the insides of lasagna, but even better.
We also tried Cranberry Pork Chops and Stuffing, but it did not go over well. I liked it, but it did not convince my kids to eat pork, which they seem to hate in almost all forms.
Chicken on Sticks (Marinated Chicken Kebabs) - a kid-friendly meal that is easy to prepare in advance and freeze.
Chicken on Sticks from Picklebums
We had Chicken on Sticks and
HalloweenKidspasta1
Cheesy Horned-Monster Macaroni at Party Bluprints
Cheesy Monster Pasta for our Halloween night dinner. 
It was great because we kept the Chicken in the crockpot with some water at the bottom to keep them warm and the in the fridge in cups. In this way, everyone could get dinner whenever they wanted...before, in the middle or after trick or treating.

sources and inspiration:
Join me at...

13 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like it started out stressful but it looks like you still made it a good and fun week. I hope you can get to the bottom of James seizure. With Prayers. Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about James. I hope you find some answers at the doctor. I know that scared everyone to death. It seems like you had a good week nonetheless. I love all the Halloween fun!! Halloween is such a great holiday. You always do the coolest things. I LOVE Mr. Bones and I am sure he will love being part of your family. :) Happy weekend Phyllis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phyllis, I am so sorry about James' seizure. I will pray you can get answers and that he doesn't have another one. Hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really stinks about James 8( So sorry...hope you can get some answers at your appt. Will put him on our prayer list! Love the pic of the skelton reading! CLASSIC! You guys always cook such great looking food..I need to venture out of my comfort zone with new winter dishes! Great costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love all the pumpkins :-) I'm sorry about James' seizure. I hope that they get answers soon. Despite that, it looks like you guys had a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to pop over to see what all the spooky pictures were about!!!! Wow! You all have been having quite the Halloween/fall celebration! Jack-o-lanterns and the costumes were great fun to see, And now onward toward the winter holidays! I love that you celebrate them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun Halloween. I am sorry for the scary seizure. That is no fun at all. I hope all goes well at Children's next week. Our prayers are with you.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about James' seizure.
    I love the Halloween costumes. And the photo of Mr Bones reading! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers for James. It means a lot.

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry about James' seizure - not fun. I am adding him to my prayer list.

    As always, your learning activities are fabulous and leave me with my chin on the floor. I love reading about your weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that must be so scary. I can totally relate to medical issues that cause anxiety and they are not at all fun. I hope the appointment next month goes well and brings answers to the many questions you must have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your school week and holiday despite the seizure scare. I hope it was just an isolated incident. I have been praying. Hope to see you tomorrow and hear a healthy report at FF.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a skeleton just like it. Ours is Crazy. Just prepare yourself to come upon him in strange spots on the floor like a crime scene. The first time I came around the corner upon it, I was a bit unnerved!

    I'm so sorry about the seizures. I pray that the visit comes back with good news.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.