Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, July 5-11, Week 34

July 5-11

Week 34

History

Modern History

The Sixties and Presidents Kennedy and Johnson

This photo is from a couple of years ago when we went to Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum.
We learned about the sixties this week. We learned about the Space Program, Civil Rights Movement and the Vietnam War. We watched videos, read books and completed map work.

Science

Cloud Chart

We made a 3-D Cloud Chart that shows why the clouds are named as they are (altitude and shape) and where they can be found.

Oceans of Oobleck

Spacecraft Designs 

The next assignment in our Oceans of Oobleck series was to design a spacecraft that is able to land on an ocean of Ooblek, explore the whole planet, and take off again with all passengers aboard. Aside from the oceans of Oobleck, the planet has conditions very much like those on Earth.

Garden Update

Tomatoes are ripening, July 5th.
 My father always said that for where we lived, if we got a ripe tomato by the 4th of July, that was early. We didn't miss it much, as Katie picked her first ripe tomato on the 6th of July.
She did have a brief problem with aphid eggs, but she made up a concoction of soap and hot peppers and water to spray on them.


Physical Education

Sport's Night

The boys got together with friends to play sports in an all-family, casual way.
This week they played dodgeball.
It may be other sports on other weeks.


Handicrafts

Rabbits from Clay

 We are reading Watership Down by Richard Adams (my all-time favorite book) in the evenings, which has inspired Quentin to craft some rabbits in clay and cotton-balls. Here is one of his clay creations.
What We are Reading:
Related Posts:

Join me at...

16 comments:

  1. It looks like you guys had a great week. I love when the first tomatoes start coming in! (I also loved the cloud project so much that I printed it off to use in some lessons we have upcoming on the water cycle :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it. We had fun making it and have learned so much from it.

      Delete
  2. I had high hopes for Watership Down - but we were only part way through an audio version when the children refused to listen to another paragraph. I'm not sure what it was exactly - but they really hated it - sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps if one of you read it aloud and perhaps waiting until they are a bit older. The language is a bit difficult.

      Delete
  3. I love the little clay rabbit. It is such a cute creation. I am glad you all are getting tomatoes. They look great.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed your kind comment on to Quentin and he appreciated it very much. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. You've been having lot's of fun learning this week! The 60's and 70s were my growing up years! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 60's and 70s were my growing up years, too.

      Delete
  5. That rabbit looks awesome! I admit I haven't read Watership Down myself - maybe one day. It looks like you are enjoying your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cloud display. I never really figured all the cloud levels out yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I until we did the chart. :)

      Delete
  7. My tomatoes aren't red yet. I'm waiting...not so patiently!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watership Down...I have to look for it at the library! I bet my girls would love it:)

    We finally got ripe tomatoes this week too!

    Love the clouds, clay bunnies, and outdoor play. Lovely week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read Watership Down for years. I should reread it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In terms of reading it to the kiddos, the language is a bit difficult for my guys and Steven and I have had to look up a couple of words we weren't sure about (some of it has to do with the fact that it is an English writer, not an American). The boys are having to work at it a bit, but they are loving it.

      Delete
    2. We are part of the way through the Hobbit right now, and the boys are already trying to convince us we should go right into Lord of the Rings......
      I don't know how the kids would cope with some of the later parts, I remember that bothering me when I read it in 6th grade.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.