Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Snapshot Summary, May 3-9, Spring Break, week 2

This has been week two of our two-week spring break. We have been enjoying my in-laws visiting from California.
Homeschool Roller Skating
Galena Dogwood Festival


Making Flour Tortillas with Grandma for Cinco de Mayo

photo by Quentin
for every 4 tortillas...

Mix together:
1 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cut 1 Tablespoon shortening into the flour.
Add water a little at a time for a soft dough.
Make balls golf ball size (1/4 of the recipe) and roll out.
Fry on a hot griddle until begin to get brown.




9 to Dinner at the Cracker Barrel
Learning Counted Cross-Stitch from Grandma

I made these strawberry cream cheese rolls.


Quentin's {my little actor} hat collection


What we are Reading:
  • Prince Caspian, C. S. Lewis (Sam is reading this to the boys in the evening.)
  • Snow Treasure, Marie McSwigan
  • DK World War II
  • World War II Days: Discover the past
  • World War II for Kids: a history with activities
  • Bones, Steve Jenkins
  • The Maze of Bones, Rick Rioridan
  • Unbroken {A World War II Airman's Story of Survival}
  • The Big Cat Nap: the Twentieth Anniversary Mrs. Murphy Mystery
related posts:

Join me at...

14 comments:

  1. Those tortillas and their toppings look so tasty, much nicer than the floppy ones we get in the shops. I'm definitely going to try those out. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun spring break!!! You all are always having fun &l earning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome Spring Break! What a smashing time you all had.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing time you have been having Phyllis! Look at all those awesome pictures! The Burning of Georgetown reenactment looks wonderful. We love things like this! Those tortillas look really good. I am going to try those! Happy Mother's Day Phyllis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely making those tortillas soon! Sounds like a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fun week! I love homemade tortillas too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GREAT visit with family! It looks like you all had a MEMORY-MAKING time together! The tortillas looks super easy! (I'm hoping to pin the recipe, but I'm having a hard time with Blogger today. Grrr! It's taking me about 5 minutes to type this! LOL) Katie's brothers are so much taller than her now, huh? Happy Mom's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the boys are tall, aren't they? One of their cousins is six foot three.
      I don't know how easy the tortillas are to do. I couldn't do it when my mother-in-law tried to show me how, but Katie seemed to get it fine.

      Delete
  8. What an awesome time with your family! Phyllis you should be awarded Bestest Mom of the year, or maybe of all time! My favorite photo is the one of Dad with the little guy. Is that Quentin? (I just can't help it, but every time I see his name in print it reminds me of the old soap opera, Dark Shadows!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. Yes, that is Quentin with his Dad. My brother thinks of Dark Shadows, too.

      Delete
  9. Phyllis, please check my blog tomorrow 5/12/13! I have a surprise for you!
    http://faithfulmomof9.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will. Happy Mother's Day, Sylvia.

      Delete
  10. I love the photo of the whole group with grandpa and grandma - what a precious memory for the future. The tortillas look delicious were they as toothsome as they look?

    Also love the little snap of lovin' on grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your photo collages and the beautiful family memories you are making:)The living history at the reenactment looks amazing! Okay, I have to show the girls how to do counted cross stitch. I have sweet memories of my grandma teaching me when I was a girl.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.