Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, May 17-23 {week 28)


Snapshot Summary, May 17-23

Quentin turned 9 and had a Secret Agent Birthday Party.

We went to the Strawberry Patch, as we have every spring for the past six years...
and Katie made strawberry jam with them. I made strawberry shortcake with the remainder.
On The Ride, James B., age 12, Maryland, USA
This is James' Ride creation for the Play Spaces Challenge. 
We have been having lots of informal nature study. James in particular, likes to find something new on his walks to bring home to research.


World War II, part I

 We learned about the beginning years of World War II with maps and timelines...
and we learned about the uniforms of the Axis and Allied soldiers.
We learned about incendiary bombs and how they were disposed of.

We also worked on coordinate graphing, state licence plates,reading and writing letters (yes, pen pals, you are getting your letters soon), but no real pictures of them.
How was your week?

Books:
  • Night of the Ninjas [Magic Tree House #5], Mary Pope Osborne
  • The Enormous Egg, Oliver Butterfield
  • Dear Miss Breed : true stories of the Japanese American incarceration during World War II and a librarian who made a difference,  Joanne Oppenheim
  • Escape from Saigon : a Vietnam War orphan becomes an American boy, Andrea Warren
  • Transformed : how everyday things are made, Bill Slavin
  • One False Note, Gordon Korman
  • Maryland : its past and present, Richard Wilson
  • 10,000 days of thunder : a history of the Vietnam War, Philip Caputo
  • Wise guy : the life and philosophy of Socrates, Mark Usher
  • Smart science tricks, Martin Gardner

17 comments:

  1. Love the Secret Agent Birthday Party theme. I got tired just reading your week. You all are always up to something. Thanks for sharing at the Homeschool Review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do like to have fun. :)

      Delete
  2. Phyllis - I'm enjoying seeing you use Homeschool in the Woods. I was exploring the Medieval Times time traveler series tonight and I just want to get started using it with Grant NOW! :-)

    We need to go pick berries, too! Thanks for the reminder.

    I hope you have a relaxing holiday weekend, my friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will really like HITW, but you will need to supplement with lots of good books, but then, I know you will. :)

      Delete
  3. What a great week. THe strawberry jam sounds so good. If we lived near each other I think my son would want to live with you guys. You have so much fun.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I have thought that same thing about your family. We do share so many common interests.

      Delete
  4. The birthday party is right up our alley! Lots of great pictures! Love what you all do! Strawberry picking - yes we have to go, thanks for the reminder! Happy Memorial Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell Quentin Happy birthday for me! Looks like he had a very fun party! Are those red maple seeds? I've never seen red ones before. Ours are all green! My husband would love the uniform book! Thanks for sharing at Friendship Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are Japanese Maple seeds, but I am not positive of the variety. They are a lovely red, aren't they?

      Delete
  6. I love the Secret Agent Birthday Party. I'm with Savannah, I can't believe how many cool things you do each week! All your pictures are wonderful. I love the one of your son and husband and the one in the strawberry patch! Happy weekend Phyllis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Secret Agent birthday party would be so much fun! Looks like a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fun - especially the strawberry picking...

    ReplyDelete
  9. A secret agent party sounds like fun. Can I get some of that jam? ;)

    I always love how hands-on the learning in your home is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the "secret agent" theme for a party! My oldest turned 9 this week and she had an "old fashioned" theme party -- she wanted it to be a bit like a nine-year-old girl's party might have been 100 years ago.

    One of my boys is really excited to learn about WWII next year when we study American History from post-Civil War to the present, so I am off to read your post about your WWII studies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to get my boys writing again. I have an idea to get Princess writing also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear it.

      Delete
  12. I'm soooo jealous of your ripe strawberries! Ours are still a few weeks off - we just have the tiniest beginnings of green berries now. I guess you can be jealous of me when we're eating our late June berries :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.