Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, April 19-25, week 27


April 19-25

Everyday Celebrations

 We put in a Cement-Block garden....
a children's garden in our old turtle sandbox, like we do every year, and a herb garden outside the kitchen door.
 We made slime...
we played Monopoly several times.
 The boys enjoyed seeing friends at a local park.




week 27

History

 We finished up our study of the 1930's with a hobo camp dinner...
and then we went on to study the time period between the wars. The centerpiece for our study was Robert McCloskey's booksWe branched out to include art, music, science and various other topics...
such as sound by making our own harmonicas/kazoos.
and making a Mock Apple Pie from Ritz crackers.

Learning History from Old Photographs

We explored learning about history from old family photographs. This is one of me when I was three years old.

English

Quentin wrote to all of his pen pals and has been anxiously checking the mailbox ever since.

Science

Human Biology: Bones and the Skeletal System

We finished up our bones and skeletal system study this week. We made a spinal column with wagon wheel pasta and gummy Lifesavers.

Nature Study

We did quite a bit of informal nature study. Quentin discovered some wild onions in our backyard and when he pulled them up, he discovered the root system, which led us to a discussion of bulbs and their fibrous root system. He also found a dead spider and brought it in to look at more closely with a magnifying glass.

CollectionsJames has started a leaf collection. I think it is very important that each child have some sort of organized collection some time during their childhood. I wait for them to show a particular interest in something to collect and then I help them come up with a way of organizing their collection.

 "We were all meant to be naturalists, each in his degree, and it is inexcusable to live in a world so full of the marvels of plant and animal life and to care for none of these things."

(Charlotte Mason, Vol 1, II, Out-Of-Door Life For The Children, p.61)

On the Menu
Thai Chicken Tacos | gimmesomeoven.com
We enjoyed Thai Chicken Tacos...

Simple Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta

TPW_5341
and Baked Salmon with 
for dinners this week.


And for Earth Day, I made Earth Cupcakes. I split them in half and put the frosting in the middle, sort of like a filling and they were very popular.

books:

  • Day of the Dragon King,(MTH #14), Mary Pope Osborne
  • Tree Finder: a manual for the identification of trees by their Leaves, May Watts
  • The Sibley guide to Trees
  • Geometry for Every Kid, Janice VanCleaves
  • Jesse Owens, Tony Gentry
  • Jesse Owens, Running Into History, Time For Kids series
  • The Candy Bombers: the untold story of the Berlin Airlift and America's Finest Hour, Andrei Cherny
  • Make Way for Ducklings, Robert McCloskey
  • Lentil, Robert McCloskey
  • Tell Them We Remember: the story of the Holocaust, Susan D. Bachrach
  • Mrs Katz and Tush, Patricia Polacco
  • Always Remember Me: How one Family Survived World War IIMarisabina Russo
  • Six Million Paper Clips: The Making of a Children's Holocaust Museum,Peter W. Schroeder and Dagmar Schroeder-Hildebrand
  • H is for Honor: a military family alphabet, Devin Scillian and Victor Juhasz
  • The Sign Painter, Allen Say
  • Mythology of the WorldNeil Philip
  • Eyewitness: Mummy
  • Eyewitness: Mythology
  • Kingfisher Voyager: Wild Weather
  • Rabbit-cadabra (Bunnicula and Friends) by James Howe and Jeff Mack
related posts:
sources and inspiration:
  • Exploring Creation with Biology, Jay Wile


Join me at...


13 comments:

  1. This is the first time I see a concrete block garden, and I think it's a great idea! It sure looks very tidy and much better than using plastic. I also agree with you about a boy having an organised collection in his childhood. My son has started a few collections but I haven't got round to organising them with him yet. I shall have to do that. Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, we're making slime in a couple of weeks and I just know my little ones (and probably my big ones) will LOVE it!!
    Beautiful photo of you and your husband, Phyllis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the slime photo! LOL

    Cool, creative spinal column and leaf collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you do it all, Phyllis?

    I love the cupcakes.

    And, do you just love Homeschool in The Woods?

    As always, I am thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do love their products, especially for Alex. They are beautiful and show how to notebook in a step-by-step gradual way.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for joining us at Friendship Friday! Phyllis- you were such a little cutie! Please let James know that I love his leaf collection! I love leaves and have framed some for our living room! I've heard of mock apple pie but haven't ever tried it. Think I will now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I will tell James. That will make him very happy to hear. The Mock Apple pie is good for a fun experiment, just to see how much it does taste like an apple pie, but it is more expensive now than regular pie (and not quite as good!)

      Delete
  6. I have been SO INSPIRED by your week this week! That cement garden? Why have I never though of that before! I need to get to planting...genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The boys got their letters and LOVED them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME! I love the concrete garden idea. That may be just the ticket for us. The cupcakes ~ so cute. You are filled with so many great ideas. I wish you homeschooled me.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idea of a hobo camp dinner is absolutely brilliant! Great photos as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hobo camp dinner is great! You always have such great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love the Easter Basket picture of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.