Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Snapshot Summary, January 11-17: Last Week in Tennessee

On Saturday, we went for a day of exploring.
First we went to Kris Kustom Archery, but sadly, they were closed for renovation.
 So, then we went on to our favorite park, Warrior's Path State Park, where the younger ones played...
while the older ones made their own explorations.
I found lots of interesting moss, fungi and lichen...
 which we looked at under my pocket microscope that I got for Christmas.

 We were soon joined by Katie and Quentin. I left them there to look and sketch.
Later it began to sprinkle, so we left the park, but we were not quite ready to go home yet...
 So, we went on to Bay's Mountain Park to enjoy their museum...
 and since it stopped raining, we also enjoyed the zoo they have.
By this time, we were ready to go home for dinner...a Southern dinner of Chicken Fried Steak with gravy, broccoli with cheese sauce and buttermilk biscuits.

Sunday was such a beautiful day...
 we had to go exploring again.
 This time at the Covered Bridge...
Do you see how much my little one has grown over the last year? 
Do you think maybe we might need to get him some new pants at least?




 We found all sorts of things, like big leaves...
 Blue Herons...
and animal (Raccoon?) tracks.



 Steven wove me a bracelet out of a willow branch.
 Then we had a picnic dinner and looked at the train on display at the Visitor's Center park.
And, to show you the contrast in the weather here in Tennessee,
 on Thursday snow fell and covered everything.
Life really is beautiful.


Many are the plans in a person's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
Proverbs 19:21

Friends, this has been a crazy week for us. Upon looking at the fact that I will probably be on Chemotherapy for the better part of  2013, and the fact that our house has still not sold in Maryland, we decided that we would move back to Maryland to begin the Chemotherapy. We are not sure at this point whether we will stay in Maryland and make home improvements or whether we will keep the house on the market with the intention of moving to Tennessee. With the sudden decision to start treatment in Maryland, we had a whirlwind of packing to do this week and weekend and school was put on hold. We did accomplish some things, but I will just include them in next week's Homeschool Weekly Report.

Top 10 Homeschool Crafts, Plans and Projects Blogs
Oh, and I found out last week from my friends at Hodgepodge that I was placed in The Homeschool Post's Top 10 Best Homeschool Crafts, Plans and Project Blogs for 2012's Homeschool Blog Awards. I am so honored to be on this list and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for voting for me.


On The Menu:
recipe from Harrington Harmonies
This was a wonderfully delicious and filling good-for-you vegetarian recipe.
It was even well received by Alex, who normally doesn't like either vegetables or casseroles.

Join me at...

18 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure have a lot on your plate! Hope that the move goes smoothly. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help blog-wise or otherwise while you're in transition.

    Phyllis, you have such a great smile, you should be in your blog photos more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy reading about what you all been up to. Enjoying nature and learning dosen't get any better.

    The weather looks to be going through a crazy spell where you guys are at.

    Your looking good my friend.Congratulations on your award, it makes your readers feel good knowing their votes were heard!!

    I got to get that pocket microscope:)

    Thank you for sharing.

    P.S

    DJ says he wants to eat what is on your menu. Poor boy, mom can't cook that great:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You outings look magical! And congratulations on your award- they made a good choice! I will be praying that all goes well with everything you have coming up. It does sound like a whirlwind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your pocket microscope is very cool. :-)

    I love all of the wonderful things you did with your children this week. You know, I admire you VERY much. I'm going to be praying as you all pack and return to Maryland -- praying for your health, peace of mind, and for God's wonderful plan to be revealed to you each day.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry about the news of the diagnosis. I follow your post every week and yet I missed the post about the diagnosis. I hope everything will go well with you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our prayers are with you as you make this move. I know how stressful it is to move and in a hurry. I see you got our promised snow.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some great places! Adding those to our list of field trips. So sorry you are having to leave TN. Wishing you peace, love and light during your treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - it has been a whirlwind for you. I will pray for your decision making - that can be so daunting.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off, prayers for you all for the transition and the coming year! Please know that you are in our hearts.

    Your week of nature and exploration was beautiful, and the snow pictures are beautiful! Looks like another beautiful week.

    And I've decided that I definitely need a pocket microscope!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a busy week you guys had!! Tennessee is such a pretty state. We lived in KY for a while.

    I really love how you get your kids out in nature and learn from life. I know I have said it before, but I really need to do that more. I am a classical at heart, but I want them to really love learning and to realize that you can learn away from a table ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That pocket microscope is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, moving during treatment must be really tough. I hope that the life will show you the way, and I also hope that you will focus on getting better. Your photography is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like lots of wonderful exploring!

    I am sorry to hear that things are in such upheaval right now :( I sincerely hope that things settle down as soon as possible so you can focus on healing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Moving home!?! I hope that all goes as smoothly as possible. You guys know how to pack a lot in! I'm really impressed with how in the moment you seem to be - and how much beauty you see. The snow, the bracelet, the leaves, the day with family - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phyllis!! My goodness dear friend. This post is such a lovely, memory filled one! A whirlwind indeed and you are headed back and starting chemotherapy. Lots of changes. And the Hodges will be sending prayers your way for all. Loved all that nature study in this post - and picnics!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on being in the top ten, you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recognize that park! We stopped there when we drove through Tennessee last spring!

    You did all this AND packing to move! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking up at Its a Wrap. You have had a whirlwind of activity and a full plate of stressful. I will pray for your move and the challenges coming in the next year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.