Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, January 4-10, week 15

January 4-10

Twelfth Night, the end of Christmas Celebration and Epiphany, when we put away the Christmas things...
Bean Cake, Pickle Prize and Christmas Crackers are all part of our traditional Twelfth Night celebration.
week 15
We had a slow start to getting back to school because we are still fighting colds and I am recovering from my surgery. We ended up only having three school days this week, but I paired it with the half-week we did before the holidays, to complete week 15.

Geography
We finished up our studies of England, read a story from Wales and began our study of Ireland.

History
We have been learning about business tycoons of the Gilded Age.

We also studied "Seward's Folly, 1867
Ulysses Grant, the 18th President
The building of the Brooklyn Bridge, 1869-1883
The Fisk-Gould Scandal, 1869
Louis Pasteur
The Great Chicago Fire, 1871
Geronimo
P.T. Barnum and "The Greatest Show on Earth"


English
We looked at irregular spellings of long-e and r-controlled vowels. Sam is taking an essay writing course at co-op, and so had to come up with two thesis statements.

Physical Education
James and Quentin started back to their gym class, after a holiday break.

books:

  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, L. Frank Baum (On CD in the car)
  • The Loathsome Dragon, David Wiesner and Kim Kahng
  • John D. Rockefeller, Ellen Coffey
  • Milton Hershey, Charnan Simon
  • J. Paul Getty, Bruce Glassman
  • American Tycoons, Carl Green and William Sanford
  • Lunch Money, Andrew Clements
  • Favorite Fairy Tales Told in Ireland, Virginia Haviland
  • Kate Culhane, A Ghost Story, Michael Hague
  • The King of Ireland's Son, Brendan Behan
  • The Pirate Queen, Emily McCully
  • King Arthur and the Knights at the Round Table
  • Soup for Supper, Phyllis Root
related posts:
Join me at...

7 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a Twelfth Night celebration! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, how do you get this all done while being so sick? My heart is hurting for you, but my spirit is confident that God will heal you and bring you out of all of this an even stronger woman...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Business Tycoons work! Looks fun and packed with interesting lessons.

    You have the most beautiful collages ever!!

    Thank you for sharing.

    P.S.
    Every week I look forward to your reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are allowing yourself some healing time. Healing and get well prayers winging your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great week. As always. I always LOVE so much seeing what you and your beautiful family are up too. I love the 12th Night celebration. What a beautiful thing to do. I love the business tycoon page. Take care of YOU sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are feeling better! Prayers for you all:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I promise to myself I will have a 12th Night celebration next year. I love your pictures from it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.