"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."

"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, October 26-November 1, week 9: Review Week and All Things Halloween

{this moment}
A Friday ritual. A single photo - no words - capturing a moment from the week. A simple, special, extraordinary moment. A moment I want to pause, savor and remember. 

Snapshot Summary, October 26-November 1

This was scheduled to be our review week, and so we covered little new material.
We went to the Andrew Johnson National Historic Site because we are studying the Reconstruction period...
 and  they received their Junior Ranger badges.
The various places to visit at the Historic Site are a few blocks from each other, and they had to take out a few minutes between stops to play in the leaves.
And afterwards we ate at Stan's Bar-B-Q, and my vegetarian husband just loved eating at a place that has a pig carved into the table. He ate the veggie burger.
 We really have been enjoying the beautiful fall here in TN.
We bought pumpkins (but not the ones they first picked).
Quentin decided that he wanted to have a Halloween Party.
 We made punch. The ice hand is made by filling a medical glove with water and hanging it from the grate of the freezer.
 Eyeball Deviled Eggs
 We made Gak.
and Candy Corn on the cob.

This week we have made Spider web pizzas and Jack O' Lantern cheese sandwiches, Ghost (cream cheese and black olives) and Pumpkin (Pimento Spread) Sandwiches and Frankenstein Pudding Cups.

 We explored negative space...
 and then gluing down cut up cotton swab to it...
 and then the art lesson turned into a science lesson...
Quentin's, age 8
 on the bones in the hand.
James', age 11
 There was also pumpkin carving and subsequent roasted pumpkin seed eating.
 Sam decided to carve a turnip this year.
 Here is our trick-or-treating group this year.

 Time to light the pumpkins...

 and the turnip.
 Back home to sort and count the loot (James had 114 pieces)...
and eat gumbo.
They had fun playing with costumes.
They have been having fun at their twice a week gym class.


The Homeschool Post
By the way, Trisha just told me that I have been nominated for The Homeschool Posts' Best Homeschool Mom Blog. If you feel moved to vote, I thank you.

17 comments:

  1. It looks like another great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keilee was looking at the pictures over my shoulder and said, "That looks really fun!". You always have the best weeks Phyllis. I love the Halloween Party. All the food is GREAT! Love the leaves pictures too. Love that Sam carved a turnip! Keilee carved an apple one year. :) Happy weekend friend. Keilee and I continue to keep you in our prayers about your house. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. You guys are in our prayers, too with regards to a job.

      Delete
  3. I know who we are visiting for Halloween next year:) Tennessee does look beautiful! I am going to go check out What your reading, the books look interesting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as we have our own home here in TN, you are welcome to come anytime.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! I want to come jump in the leaves in that first photo too! So much fall fun - and Halloween partying going on. All mixed with awesome learning. And I think that gym class is the best! (love the giant pumpkin that you didn't buy - great to take a photo next to :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, your fall leaves are so gorgeous! I love your Halloween party. My kids would have gone nuts for it!

    Blessings
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun fall photos! Love the first one especially! The Phantom Tollbooth is one of my favorites too! I think you have to be a little older to get the word play in it, but so fun. And what a great Halloween party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What fun pictures! Looks like everyone had a good time - love the scary food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the ice hand. I will have to remember that one. You all had another wonderful week. What a great picture of kids in leaves.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful week! I love the photos of the kids playing in the leaves and all the Halloween fun:) And Junior Ranger badges are one of our favorite things to earn when we are on a road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The leaves are awesome. I feel like ours are mostly falling down brown. Really fun week of celebrating. How long has your husband been a vegetarian? No one wants to join him? :) Another historic site to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not really sure how long Steven's been vegetarian...several years. We do eat more vegetarian dishes than most families, I am sure, but no, the rest of us still eat meat.

      Delete
  11. I'm just laughing at your husband eating a veggie burger while looking at a pig carved in the wall. Priceless.

    May I come to your homeschool for Halloween next year? Looks fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the picture of the kids playing in the leaves. It looks like such a fun week and a great Halloween Party. I'm so glad the National Parks have the Jr Ranger programs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful week and your All Things Halloween look great fun! I've voted for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.