Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Our Homeschool Weekly Report, October 6-11, week 6

Snapshot Summary, October 6-11
Week 6


 We went to Fort Watauga...



 to a Knap-In.



Knapping is the shaping of stone by conchoidal fracturing such as flint, or obsidian through the process of lithic reduction to manufacture stone tools.



 The boys were also shown how to start a fire with flint and steel.



The original Germanic term "knopp" meant strike, shape, or work.



They were also shown how the American Indians made bow string from bark fibers.


We also went to the Quilt show. Here are my favorites.
 On Sunday Katie and I were honored to help out a friend, Howard Dale's art show. Isn't he an incredible artist?

The younger boys did not have gym class this week so I was really glad that on Wednesday they went to Kris Kustom Archery with a group of homeschoolers.
 The teacher was excellent and the boys really enjoyed it.
I think they want to continue with it, to gain more skill at it. (BTW, they don't ever want to really shoot animals, just have fun with the skill. I think Quentin imagines himself as Robin Hood and the like.)
Science
We have been studying the Monera Kingdom and working on a nature study of bacteria and the value of washing hands as well.
Can you see the white spots? Those are the bacterial colonies from unwashed hands.

Steven took James, Quentin and Katie to Red Chili, a Korean restaurant in Elizabethton, TN.
Be-Bim-Bob (Katie ordered hers with Kim-Chee and Pork with cooked vegetables on a bed of seasoned rice in a hot stone bowl). Be-Bim-Bob (Steven ordered his with Tofu with cooked vegetables on a bed of seasoned rice in a hot stone bowl with a fried egg ), James had Red Chicken (sweet and spicy chicken) and Quentin had Shrimp and Noodles (Stir fried shrimp, veggies and noodles).

Geography and History
In addition to finishing up our study of Korea, we also explored Indonesia.
We are paused at our history studies because we are studying the Reconstruction after the Civil War and presidents Andrew Johnson, Grant and Hayes and we want to go to the Andrew Johnson National historic site, which is nearby but couldn't this week.
We did play some rounds of Arms and Armament of the Civil War card game.


Math
Quentin is working on place value of larger numbers and advanced (multiple-digit) addition and subtraction. James is working on advanced division. Sam has switched algebra programs, so we are in a process of figuring out the best place to start. Alex is working on multiplication problems. We have also been playing lots of games on the checkerboard.

A sentence foldable that I made for the boys to refer to.

Language Arts
We are working on several things in our language arts studies. We are working on the parts of sentences in grammar. We are working on the various types of sentences and we are working on how to combine two simple sentences to make a complex sentence. Since I use their own work as a  place to start for their language arts studies, we tend to have several concepts that we are working on at one time, varying the concepts as they apply to the different pieces that they write. I try to be careful not to use each piece that they turn in for their language arts studies because I don't want them to worry about these things as they write their narrations, especially since writing them (as opposed to oral narrations) is a new skill. I let them pick out a piece to use for their language arts work and then I apply one of the skills they are working on to it.


Links:


12 comments:

  1. Another amazing week at your house. That archery class looks like such fun. I used to love archery and was semi good at it. :) Fort Watauga looks like fun too. Y'all go the best places! I seriously love quilts! The purple and black one is my favorite. And you are right, what a talented artist! I love the eggs in the nest and the Christmas one. Hope you and your family have a great weekend Phyllis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you guys had a SLOW week, huh? ::wink:: Just teasing! You do so many wonderful field trips and hands on activities every single week! How much time do you spend planning? ::laugh:: Love it!

    The Korean meal looks yummy!

    Beautiful quilts!

    And I get the kids had a blast during the field trips and shooting arrows. (My youngest is outside trying to MAKE a bow and arrow right now.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't fathom how you are able to fit so much fun and learning into a mere week. I'm in awe.

    BTW, I love the sentence foldable!!

    (Also, thanks for always being so supportive. You can't imagine how much it means to me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is unbelieveable how much history your family soaks up! I love that sentence foldable, and the archery class is justtoo cool. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great week! And this was slow? Wow! :-) Love the field trips.

    The quilts and the art work are quite stunning. And, wow, my boys would just love an archery opportunity like that!

    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Many blessings, Lisa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the archery pictures. I bet boys had fun with it. And you even made it into a picture diary this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I giggled at the photo of your son peeking out of the tree! I feel like I say it every week - but what a fabulous week! So much learning FUN. New skills, experiences and learning always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a week!
    The fort looks fascinating, but I'm not sure I would be able to get a fire going! The quilt display is more my speed;) Such beautiful colors and patterns.
    The archery practice looks like fun too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great week of activities!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so much goodness! The knap-in sounds interesting, the quilt show looks amazing, and your friend's art is incredible!!
    I got the checkerboard games book that you recommended from the library...I was just looking at it last night. I think we'll be playing some of the games this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That card game sounds fun.
    I would have loved to of gone to that quilt show. I love quilts, all the steps in making them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phyllis! Please check your email! You won a copy of Everyday Cooking! So excited for you because I know you will love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.