Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

This Moment, At The Covered Bridge and Snapshot Summary, August 3-10, Summer School, week 2

{this moment}
A Friday ritual. A single photo - no words - capturing a moment from the week. A simple, special, extraordinary moment. A moment I want to pause, savor and remember. If you're inspired to do the same, leave a link to your 'moment' in the comments at SouleMama.

Snapshot Summary, August 3-10
On Saturday, we went down to the Covered Bridge a mile from our house.

to sail cucumber boats. We had a grand time and enjoyed a dinner at the Mellow Mushroom afterwards because they have gluten-free and vegan cheese pizzas.
 We had some rain on Sunday night, (there was flooding nearby) and it was amazing when we went back to the Covered Bridge on Monday how much more water there was in the Doe River.

Remember all the rocks you could see in the pictures on Saturday? 
They were covered by water on Monday.
We played with water beads this week.
To begin our study of mollusks, I brought out all of my shells, and we began sorting them. There was some discussion while we were doing this, as to what constituted a new category. 
We decided to make our categories as broad as we could, thinking that we could make more specific identification as we studied each category. I would love to have a wooden dividing box like Tea for Monkeys used, but due to limited space, we decided to divide them up on the table and put them in plastic bags.
After we had made our divisions, we looked through field guides to identify them, and wrote their names on the outside of the bags.
We began our study with clams. We had two basic kinds of clam shells. The Amethyst Gem Clam/ Dosinias and the Lucina. We read about clams in general and these type shells in  particular from books...
Alex's (age 18, Special Education) notebook page
It can use its foot to dig down into the sand or mud to hide.
Each clam ring represents a new layer of shell that was added each year as the clam grew.
and then the boys sketched and wrote about them in their notebooks.
We learned that clam shells grow a new ring each year, just as trees do, and so James counted several shells to see how old they were.


 We also did a similar study with our rock collection...
focusing on Igneous rocks this time.
 On Wednesday, Steven took Katie, Quentin and James to the Barter Theater...
 in Abington, Virginia...
 with a group of homeschoolers...
to see The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.
They, naturally, had a wonderful time.
Since Steven had already taken the day off, they decided to stay in Abington after they ate lunch and went to the Virginia Highlands Festival...
and brought home some goodies like actually Civil War bullets from Charleston, SC, a Megalodon tooth, and a wooden sword for play.


Join me at...

10 comments:

  1. Looks like an amazing week! I love all the time spent outdoors and especailly your "best friend anniversary"...aren't friends like that a precious gift?! I linked my post yesterday on zucchini back to your cucumber boats:) We just have to do that this week- thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sorted ours on felt pieces for our shell sorting :)

    And how cool to have a "best friend" celebration! I love that idea, I might need to propose that for my best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great time! I love the covered bridge and the cucumber boats are too cool. I've always wanted to eat at Mellow Mushroom. We thought about it in Atlanta and had one in Huntsville, but never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a week!!! Cucumber boats and water beads look like a ton of fun! And I love that you celebrate being a friend anniversary's. That is so cool! Wish my friend and I lived close enough to do that too.

    Take care,
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great week! I love that you have had a best friend for 37 years! Do you know how amazing that is? Love the covered bridge! We love covered bridges. In fact that is a goal of mine to visit all the ones around here. We love Mellow Mushroom. There is one in Huntsville we have eaten at and they are building one in Decatur!

    Great mollusks study and the play looks wonderful of course. :) Happy weekend Phyllis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving your story about your best friend. What a gift she must be to you.

    My kids always like to go to Mellow Mushroom because they use the "Mellow Flushrooms"!

    I have never been to a covered bridge. Isn't that sad? I can't believe this one is just a mile from your house, Phyllis.

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Covered bridges are just a visual of our American history, aren't they? How wonderful you can visit one so close! I got to be with one of my very best friends yesterday. We've been friends since we were 10! A treasure for sure. Your words and pictures share the true delight of your week..."naturally, they had a good time..." Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Mellow Mushroom is definitely great for us vegans! :) I love that you celebrated your friendship. I just realized that next year will mark the 30th year I've been friends with someone...I think I will surprise her with a celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a great week, so much joy to be found! I love the picture of you at the top by the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love seeing a celebration photo with your friend! Great photos and activities this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.