Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

11 on the 11th, part 2

My tagged people for the 11 on the 11th post were telling me that my questions were a bit hard. I thought it only fair, then that I should answer them myself! So, here it goes.



1. What is your favorite blog post you have made?
I guess I would say the Science Mystery series, since they are the posts I worked the hardest on.


2. Do you have a blog post that affected you, made you think, changed you in some way? Include what blog you saw it on, and a link, if you can.
Learning Is Better Together: Fostering Strong Sibling Relationships, written by Stefani Austin of Blue Yonder Ranch and posted at Simple Homeschool. I liked this post so much that I use her "rules" as the framework for our homeschool/family.


3. Have you ever met in real life anyone that you knew through their blog?
No, not yet, but it sounds like fun. I would like to.

4. What is your favorite subject to teach? Why?
Science and lower level math. They are such hands-on interactive subjects.

5. What is your least favorite subject to teach? Why?
Foreign languages and upper level math. I find them difficult subjects myself, so I have trouble feeling confident teaching them. I am working on it, though.

6. What type would you say your teaching style falls under? It can be more than one.
I would like to say that I am totally a Charlotte Mason homeschool teacher, but it wouldn't be accurate if I did. I am a bit more hands-on that a strict CM'er. I have some Unschooling tendencies as well.


7. Is there some project in your homeschool that you would like to do, but haven't been able to do it yet? Why do you want to do it and why haven't you been able?

Model rockets. I taught a 6-week course in it for Katie when she was in the 8th grade which included designing their own rockets and triangulation. I have been meaning to do it with the older boys, and I just haven't gotten the energy up to find a site to launch them, etc. Perhaps after we move....?

8. What do you consider the most important goal for your school?

For them to love learning and to be life-longer learners.


9. What is the favorite blog post (you have written) of your readers? Were you surprised?
My top favorite post consistently has been Fizzy Explosion Bags (with currently over 47,000 views). It was totally unexpected that this would be a favorite post. It tells me that readers are looking for simple easy fun learning experiences for the elementary aged students.

10. What is something you have since learned that you wish you knew when you started homeschooling?To relax more. When I taught my first child, Katie, I was very concerned about her following the traditional path which includes lots of tests and worksheets. I relax much more now and take our time to have lots of fun while they are learning. It is so much better.

Stained Moon combines a salt map, a time line and interactive play when learning history and geography.


11. Is there a blog that shows a homeschool that you are striving to be more like? What do you admire about their homeschool?
The Forest Room seems like the perfect homeschool to me. I also love how Stained Moon does their history and geography. I am going to try to do it this way next year.

2 comments:

  1. Now I'm going to have to check out the blogs you linked to........

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I feel honored, thank you for mention us!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.